The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Tripple Play STOPPED

Please someone settle this argument.

It's the top of the 6th, they have no out's runners at 1st and 2nd and I am playing short stop. the ball is hit low and hard. I could of dived to catch it, but i saw at least a double play, the ball bounced at my feet.

I intended to tag the runner from 2nd, step on the 2nd base then throw to 1st. TRIPPLE PLAY. but as I tagged the runner, he pushed my glove away knocking the ball out of my hand. He then deliberatly ran and stood between me and the ball, he then ran to 3rd. The umpire said that i did not have control of the ball.

But i did. surly he could not knocked it out of my hand delibratly and get away with that.

I though he should of been out the umpire should of given the runner out from 1st to 2nd as i would of easily got that out.

Any comments ??
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

In all honesty, this sounds like something only a replay camera can settle, and that just ain't happening. It's not that I doubt your word, but I don't think this can be solved online. It's a HTBT-with the right angle.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi Stevens
Please someone settle this argument.

It's the top of the 6th, they have no out's runners at 1st and 2nd and I am playing short stop. the ball is hit low and hard. I could of dived to catch it, but i saw at least a double play, the ball bounced at my feet.

I intended to tag the runner from 2nd, step on the 2nd base then throw to 1st. TRIPPLE PLAY. but as I tagged the runner, he pushed my glove away knocking the ball out of my hand. He then deliberatly ran and stood between me and the ball, he then ran to 3rd. The umpire said that i did not have control of the ball.

But i did. surly he could not knocked it out of my hand delibratly and get away with that.

I though he should of been out the umpire should of given the runner out from 1st to 2nd as i would of easily got that out.

Any comments ??
If you had control of the ball and it was knocked out by the runner and not just by the manner of the tag; then it could be interference.
My reading of your description implies that is the case, but apparently the umpire saw it as lack of control, which means no tag, no outs at all.
If the runner then "ran and stood between me and the ball"; the umpire would have to judge that as deliberate and that would be hard to judge versus being confused or thinking he was out, etc.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

So just image for one minute, the umpire saw the player deliberately knock the ball out of my glove, then this would be interference, therefore he would be given out ? Yes ??

would the umpire then judge that i would of also got the runner out at 2nd ?

I personally felt that i would of got all three.
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 04:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So just image for one minute, the umpire saw the player deliberately knock the ball out of my glove, then this would be interference, therefore he would be given out ? Yes ??

would the umpire then judge that i would of also got the runner out at 2nd ?

I personally felt that i would of got all three.
Yes, the umpire probably could have given you the out at 2B, and maybe 1B, though the out at 1B had more variables and would make it tougher for the ump to be "certain".
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a rule about runners knocking balls out of gloves, or a rule that cover this incident ?? So i can look it up ???
Old Fri Jul 20, 2007, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there a rule about runners knocking balls out of gloves, or a rule that cover this incident ?? So i can look it up ???
We don't know which rule book you are using, but for example the runner rules in ASA are in Rule 8, Section 7, starting around sub section L. Other rule books have similar sections, usually titled "runner is out" or something similar.

Note: the out at 2nd could be because the tagged runner is now out and as a "retired" runner "deliberately" attempted to prevent a double play. The triple play would be a real stretch on the umpire's part.
Old Sun Jul 22, 2007, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

As an aside, "would've" does not equal "would of," but rather "would have." Just a pet peeve of mine.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

As long as we are providing grammar corrections, how about triple play, not tripple play.
It takes a village!!
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Come on you guys, ease up.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxos
As long as we are providing grammar corrections, how about triple play, not tripple play.
It takes a village!!
I was going to suggest trippple play.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 10:49am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I was going to suggest trippple play.
Good call, Dakota.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxos
It takes a village!!
Oh...trust me. I could've gone on and on. The incorrect spellings, though, could have been accidental. However, most people today actually believe that "would of" is really what folks are saying when they mean "would've."

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jul 23, 2007, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

If it was SP, a "Ripple" play would have been more apt.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Note that the rule will not specifically mention a runner knocking the ball out of the glove.

If runner does this deliberately, then it is interference, and the interference rules apply. "Deliberately" is entirely in the judgement of the umpire. If the runner swipes at your glove with her hand (ala A. Rod.), that's pretty obviously deliberate. But if the runner simply runs hard into the glove with no other motion to dislodge the ball, then it's probably your bad for failing to control the ball during the tag.