The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I went back and watched it again and I don't see it - she's clearly retreating to the base when the PU calls her out. Wrong call - period.
Clearly retreating WHEN the PU calls the out is irrelevant, don't you think? Aren't most baserunners past first base when you call the out? What matters is the umpire on the spot's perception of "immediately". I agree it was borderline, but I think one could make just as good an argument FOR this particular call as against it, and this thread could have been about how they missed an LBR in such a big game had she not called it.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Clearly retreating WHEN the PU calls the out is irrelevant, don't you think? Aren't most baserunners past first base when you call the out? What matters is the umpire on the spot's perception of "immediately". I agree it was borderline, but I think one could make just as good an argument FOR this particular call as against it, and this thread could have been about how they missed an LBR in such a big game had she not called it.
Yes, yes, yes, you are right about the word WHEN. I'm glad that as an official I'm not judged about the words I write. Still - after looking at it (yet again today) it's still a bad call. Ever been accused of making a call (or not making one) to hurry up and get the game over?

Hmmmm, I wonder if she was being paid off like Tim Donaghy?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
There aren't enough in the world to make that funny!
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Larry:

Knowing Dora and knowing her professionalism and commitment to the game I am offended by the so called joke.

Just don't go there.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel
Larry:

Knowing Dora and knowing her professionalism and commitment to the game I am offended by the so called joke.

Just don't go there.
Rachel, it is a joke, plain and simple. Tasteless? Maybe, but whether you like it or not, he's allowed.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Hmmmm, I wonder if she was being paid off like Tim Donaghy?
Honestly, I'm already dreading how often we will hear this in softball, baseball, football this next year. I SURE don't need it from a fellow official. Bad taste.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Rachel, it is a joke, plain and simple. Tasteless? Maybe, but whether you like it or not, he's allowed.
Of course we are all allowed to say things, but there are limits, even for those who are never offensive before.

And Rachel and I and mcrowder are allowed to dislike it, be offended by it and see it is inappropriate and certainly not funny.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmmm, I wonder if she was being paid off like Tim Donaghy
I am also offended by this comment. Even as a joke this has no business on this board. If I heard this on the field about myself or my partners, there would be an immediate ejection even if it was a joke. This comment has no business being here.

Larry White
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

And you are equally allowed to be offended. Then again, there isn't a joke out there about an individual that may not offend someone, but you know what? They, too, are allowed.

Personally, I thought it was hillarious. I read it as a statement in jest with all the latest brouhaha about the former NBA referee and not an insinuation that Dora, or any other softball umpire, was on the take.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed Jul 25, 2007 at 09:08am.
Old Tue Jul 24, 2007, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And you are equally allowed to be offended. Then again, there isn't a joke out there about an individual that may not offend someone, but you know what? They, too, are allowed.

Personally, I thought it was hillarious. I read it was a statement in jest with all the latest brouhaha about the former NBA referee and not an insinuation that Dora, or any other softball umpire, was on the take.
Thank you Mike for seeing through my comment. Of course I didn't mean she was on the take - OMG! If she were, she would have made more bad calls. It was totally a joke taking her meaningless call and jokingly implying that the whole game hinged on it. Of course it was a joke - who would have cared about this game to bet on it? The Japanese mafia???? Sheeeeeeeesh!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

the Tim Donaghy joke isn't nearly as offensive as things I see and hear other day concerning our avocation. It's much more offensive to see things on this board that besmirch the good name of umpiring, from lack of knowledge to lack of hustle to lack of uniform, ad infinitum.

Let's invest the air we suck in on fixing the REAL problems, then we can worry about whether Tim Donaghy jokes amongst us umpires should be tolerated.

(Of course, the first coach to bring that up is GONE quicker than my 14th ex-wife.)
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Look, Irish, don't you think you'll get to 6000 posts soon enough without such tactics (five nearly identical posts)?
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 03:10pm
softball_junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
And that time period would be ...

My rule book says immediately. Many officials will give a silent count of "one thousand one..." but that is not cast in stone.
My rule book says immediately as well. I beleave that leaves it up to the umpires judgment of what is immediately. For me, having a set peroid of time (around two seconds) gives each team the same chance to return or advance to a base. Once you call the dead ball, even if at that point the runner has started moving you have already made the call.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

I think the ump was just making sure the "point spread/runs scored" would not be over the betting line....I'm sure I saw a few mobsters down near the front row behind the plate umpire.
Old Wed Jul 25, 2007, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by THREE
I think the ump was just making sure the "point spread/runs scored" would not be over the betting line....I'm sure I saw a few mobsters down near the front row behind the plate umpire.
Please, don't feed the troll.