The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question 4th Quarter ends tie game! T to coach?

Here is the scenario: 4th quarter horn sounds, Tie game, team B's coach goes after official for not making a call on the final play. Other official T's coach.

What next?

Can the T free throws end the game? Or are they the start of the overtime?

My interp is Team A shoots the free throws and begins the overtime with the ball with the possession arrow toward Team B.

Let me know what you think!
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 12:59pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Since the foul occured clearly after the 4th quarter ended, and since you already knew that you had to play overtime, you start the OT with the technical free throws.

If the score was not tied, and the free throws could have decided if an overtime was needed, then you would shoot them as part of the 4th quarter.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 01:00pm
PYRef

If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter or extra period, the next quarter or extra period is started by administering the free throws. 7.6.4
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Since the foul occured clearly after the 4th quarter ended, and since you already knew that you had to play overtime, you start the OT with the technical free throws.

If the score was not tied, and the free throws could have decided if an overtime was needed, then you would shoot them as part of the 4th quarter.
How can that be?
Thinking FIBA rules now.
The referees right to call starts 20 minutes prior to the game.
And ends when the last qtr is over. If the T occured after the buzzer sounded, the ref can't call it. How ever, he shall note it on the back of the score sheet (see 46.10).
You can't shoot the FT's to decide if the score's going to be tied or not. How ever, if the score was tied, you start OT with the FT's.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 05:16pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
How can that be?
Because that's the way US high schools do it. I wouldn't mind the FIBA rule, but ours is just different.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Scrapper,

I am not doubting you one bit on this, but for the "non-tied" scenario to play out . . .

the winning team's coach would have to be going irate over a call/no-call at the end of the game he just won. Otherwise the free throws would be irrelevant to the outcome.

Has anyone ever scene a coach do something so dumb?

Wait, that's a loaded question - Has anyone ever had a winning coach get a T, thus allowinging free throws to his/her opponent, thus causing overtime?
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 08:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy voyager
How can that be?
Thinking FIBA rules now.
The referees right to call starts 20 minutes prior to the game.
And ends when the last qtr is over. If the T occured after the buzzer sounded, the ref can't call it. How ever, he shall note it on the back of the score sheet (see 46.10).
You can't shoot the FT's to decide if the score's going to be tied or not. How ever, if the score was tied, you start OT with the FT's.
In NF, the referee's authority does not end until the final score has been approved and the referees leave the court. Anything before that happens can affect the game.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 08:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
Has anyone ever had a winning coach get a T, thus allowinging free throws to his/her opponent, thus causing overtime?
Have I seen it? No. But I've heard of it happening; especially when coaches think they have a free shot. I've seen winning coaches who weren't any happier with my officiating than the losing coach; coaches who think they overcame the refs to win anyway.
Some don't know they can still get a T and it might cost them the game. Easily the most irate coach I've ever seen, and the only one I've actually had to toss, was a YMCA coach in the Des Moines area. He coached a 7th grade team and was constantly barking for calls. First time I had him, one T was enough. Next time he didn't fare so well and lasted about a quarter and a half. His teams won, I think, every game they played by an average of around 30 points.
Old Fri Dec 15, 2006, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXCoach
Has anyone ever had a winning coach get a T, thus allowinging free throws to his/her opponent, thus causing overtime?
Not I -- but I did have a coach pick up his second T after the game was over, causing him to miss the next game of the tournament.