The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Im gonna stir the pot a little...

I just heard (secondhand) that at a tournament last week, several umpires (mostly from one state) turned back their Sunday assignments because they didnt like the assignment they got, and/or didn't like a change in the pay arrangements.... While I (mostly) sympathize on the pay part..... "not liking" your Sunday assignment is NO reason to go back on your committment to work a tournament. If there are issues...work them out afterwards or don't come back next year. If you promise to work...work..... anything else is dishonorable....
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm mostly with you on that, Andy. Sunday assignments is no reason to refuse to work; that is unprofessional.

But the pay issue .....I would need more info to have a hard opinion. If the issue is check versus cash, or a few day delay, you need to work. If the TD or umpire coordinator promised one game fee, and, without notice, cut the game fee, then I need to rephrase your statement. If you promise to pay X.....pay X...... anything else is dishonorable.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
I just heard (secondhand) that at a tournament last week, several umpires (mostly from one state) turned back their Sunday assignments because they didnt like the assignment they got, and/or didn't like a change in the pay arrangements.... While I (mostly) sympathize on the pay part..... "not liking" your Sunday assignment is NO reason to go back on your committment to work a tournament. If there are issues...work them out afterwards or don't come back next year. If you promise to work...work..... anything else is dishonorable....
Why is it "stirring the pot" to state simple, generally accepted concepts?
Even the "pay arrangements" factor, unless a unsuppported reduction (i.e.., below the going rate for no reason) is not an acceptable reason.

Arizona is a little far from here, but near here I'd gladly take their place.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I'm mostly with you on that, Andy. Sunday assignments is no reason to refuse to work; that is unprofessional.

But the pay issue .....I would need more info to have a hard opinion. If the issue is check versus cash, or a few day delay, you need to work. If the TD or umpire coordinator promised one game fee, and, without notice, cut the game fee, then I need to rephrase your statement. If you promise to pay X.....pay X...... anything else is dishonorable.

If you call me Andy again...we will have issues...Andy is the tall, ugly WHITE guy from Phoenix..... The issue was pay,,,, one rate was stated (by who I dont know) but when it came time for payment, another was paid....

but even with that..I would NOT refuse to work..i just would not come back again....
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Why is it "stirring the pot" to state simple, generally accepted concepts?
Even the "pay arrangements" factor, unless a unsuppported reduction (i.e.., below the going rate for no reason) is not an acceptable reason.

Arizona is a little far from here, but near here I'd gladly take their place.

It wasnt Arizona. It was a tournament in a rocky mountain state....
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It wasnt Arizona. It was a tournament in a rocky mountain state....
I was just using AZ as an example, assuming you weren't talking about a tourney in Maryland. All western states are too far, unless it involves plane fare to visit my sister in Colorado Springs.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I was just using AZ as an example, assuming you weren't talking about a tourney in Maryland. All western states are too far, unless it involves plane fare to visit my sister in Colorado Springs.
My apologies, Darrell. Not paying enough attention to detail while thinking about my response.

Cecil ..........BINGO!! Pretty sure you found the state. Two major tournaments ended there Sunday; and Dave Neidlinger coordinating Aurora would have never allowed that to happen. Had to be Boulder.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
My apologies, Darrell. Not paying enough attention to detail while thinking about my response.

Cecil ..........BINGO!! Pretty sure you found the state. Two major tournaments ended there Sunday; and Dave Neidlinger coordinating Aurora would have never allowed that to happen. Had to be Boulder.
OK, ah ha, now I learned something. I figure things out better when I'm not trying.

Besides, I'm not old enough for bingo!
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

I agree - don't like the assignment for the tournament, so what. Work it and then decide whether or not to do it again. If the issue is that the pay was cut, that's a problem - I suspect I'd want more info before saying I'd work or I wouldn't work.

While I don't know either tournament or their organizers, I'd have to agree that it doesn't match Neidlinger's reputation.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
WOW - sounds like you guys are in West Virginia!!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jul 05, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
WOW - sounds like you guys are in West Virginia!!
I was thinkin we could use a good strike..

Then the scab LL baseball umps could come in.. mess it all up and we'd get a raise.

Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

I worked the Fireworks for Dave. That is the best run tournament anywhere. The umpires plan their year around working that tournament.
Old Thu Jul 06, 2006, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...If you call me Andy again...we will have issues...Andy is the tall, ugly WHITE guy from Phoenix.....
Now I'm insulted!!! Darrell is the tall, ugly, BLACK guy from Phoenix!

My guess is that it wasn't either of the ASA sanctioned tournies in CO, but the other major organization we deal with here in AZ.

Last edited by Andy; Thu Jul 06, 2006 at 11:48am.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Back to the actual OP ... if umpires were contracted to work a tournament, and tourney officials decided to change the rate of pay contracted, I have NO PROBLEM at all with any umpires who decided to simply go home. Heck, I wouldn't have any problem if the whole lot of them up and left on Saturday when they learned of the issue.
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Back to the actual OP ... if umpires were contracted to work a tournament, and tourney officials decided to change the rate of pay contracted, I have NO PROBLEM at all with any umpires who decided to simply go home. Heck, I wouldn't have any problem if the whole lot of them up and left on Saturday when they learned of the issue.

and you would be wrong.....