The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

This Just In, ASA 8.7.K

In an earlier thread, it was mentioned that an umpire failed to call a runner out for being hit with a batted ball in front of a left fielder and the umpire stated "outfielders don't count". Well, as the rule reads in this year's ASA book, the umpire was correct, but I felt there was something wrong there.

A deputy supervisor has confirmed that there was an error in the housekeeping change of this rule.

It should read something similar to this:

K. When a runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact with a base and before it passes an infielder, excluding the pitcher, or if it passes an infielder and another fielder has an opportunity to make an out.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Hmm.. dont we need 22 committee meetings, 3 dinners at red lobster, and four voting sessions to get this done?
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

So until it's written in the 2008 rule book (or posted somewhere on ASA's site), what should we rule if an outfielder had an opportunity to make the play?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
So until it's written in the 2008 rule book (or posted somewhere on ASA's site), what should we rule if an outfielder had an opportunity to make the play?
Since I received this from one of the four deputy supervisors, I've going with their clarification. I understand if you don't want to take this as gospel and, as I've seen in the past, many UICs will not believe it until they see it, so hopefully there will be a clarification issued soon on the web site.

Just don't go on the field and declare it so and say, "I saw it on the web".
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

While the clarification makes perfect sense as to how the rule really should be, I'd find it hard to call it that way until ASA changes it in writing. There are some rules-savvy offensive coaches out there (and some that are just plain offensive), and if I were to make this call, I'd think that they'd have ripe fields for protest.

However, I appreciate Mike's follow-up on this information, and I hope that ASA puts this in writing for all to see as soon as possible.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
While the clarification makes perfect sense as to how the rule really should be, I'd find it hard to call it that way until ASA changes it in writing. There are some rules-savvy offensive coaches out there (and some that are just plain offensive), and if I were to make this call, I'd think that they'd have ripe fields for protest.

However, I appreciate Mike's follow-up on this information, and I hope that ASA puts this in writing for all to see as soon as possible.
You know, not everything is in the rule book. Much of how we call games is based on interpretation. For example, the black rim on a home plate.

This is why there is a structured chain for passing along information from OKC to Supervisor of Umpires to the four Deputy Supervisors to the fifteen Regional UICs to the State/Metro UICs to the local UIC/Rules Interpreter/Trainer (or whatever tag your association attaches to the individual(s) involved in the training and interpretation of rules) to pass it on to the local umpires.

While the ASA web site is there for everyone to see, you know as well as I that every umpire doesn't occasionally check it out for changes.

If I were you, I would check with your local UIC and get his opinion on how the rule should be called. Don't set him up, though. Explain that you believe the rule is not worded correctly and that you have heard it may be a misprint. Then you call it the way you are directed.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

So you are saying that, for example, in a co-ed slow pitch game with a light hitting batter and the outfield pulled way in, with runners at first and second, that a ground ball to the shortstop that is not touched while going through legs and hits a runner behind the shortstop , the runner should be called out because a nearby outfielder had a chance to make a force out?

Never , ever.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 04:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
So you are saying that, for example, in a co-ed slow pitch game with a light hitting batter and the outfield pulled way in, with runners at first and second, that a ground ball to the shortstop that is not touched while going through legs and hits a runner behind the shortstop , the runner should be called out because a nearby outfielder had a chance to make a force out?

Never , ever.
Not even with a double fist pump?
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano

Never , ever.
And even in the FP game with a short right fielder. Apparently, this is just another instance where you choose to work your own rule set and the teams be damned.

BTW, did I forget to mention this ruling is basically supported as the counter effect of ASA 8.8.D?
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I have just been informed that this correction/clarification should be addressed on the umpire's web page under the July Clarifications.
Old Wed Jun 27, 2007, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

maybe we should give all runners a little trampoline to bounce over the ball since they are now in jeopardy of being thrown out or called out due to a misplay by the defense.

Common sense takes another beating.
Old Thu Jun 28, 2007, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And even in the FP game with a short right fielder.
And what if we have a tall right fielder?