View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 26, 2007, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
While the clarification makes perfect sense as to how the rule really should be, I'd find it hard to call it that way until ASA changes it in writing. There are some rules-savvy offensive coaches out there (and some that are just plain offensive), and if I were to make this call, I'd think that they'd have ripe fields for protest.

However, I appreciate Mike's follow-up on this information, and I hope that ASA puts this in writing for all to see as soon as possible.
You know, not everything is in the rule book. Much of how we call games is based on interpretation. For example, the black rim on a home plate.

This is why there is a structured chain for passing along information from OKC to Supervisor of Umpires to the four Deputy Supervisors to the fifteen Regional UICs to the State/Metro UICs to the local UIC/Rules Interpreter/Trainer (or whatever tag your association attaches to the individual(s) involved in the training and interpretation of rules) to pass it on to the local umpires.

While the ASA web site is there for everyone to see, you know as well as I that every umpire doesn't occasionally check it out for changes.

If I were you, I would check with your local UIC and get his opinion on how the rule should be called. Don't set him up, though. Explain that you believe the rule is not worded correctly and that you have heard it may be a misprint. Then you call it the way you are directed.