The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
A First Time for EVERYthing....

Have yet to hear this before- Saturday I was supposed to work a LL DH at a park about 5 minutes from my house - 2 games @ $45 ** . Game time: 3 pm. I was on my computer about 12:30 , when the Weather Channel warning thing starts going nuts - a t-storm approaching, supposed to be over my head at 1:30 or so. Just as I am reading that - BOOM! Look outside and see BLACK clouds...and starts to POUR for about 45 minutes, with lighter rain continuing after that. I'm figuring : uh-ohh...no game, and start listening for 'that' phone call...and listening...and listening. I finally decide at 2:20 to get dressed, and run up there. I get up there...at 2:30 like I am supposed to...and there is NOBODY there...except..the team from another town the homies were supposed to play. I mean NObody- not even the guy who runs the supply shack/refreshment stand. Now, granted, the fields had water on them..but..they are the top of a small hill, and have drainage. Plus, it stopped raining when I got up there, and the sun came out. Now...the coaches of the other team were P***ed beyond belief..and could not get anybody from the local LL on the phone..so...we waited the requisite 15 minutes past gametime...and VAMOOSED..

anyone ever hear of home team forfeiting like that?

I haven't even told my assignor yet..I figured its not mine or his problem, but theirs!

** LL Seniors - alone - playing teams from other towns
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Who forfeited the game? This should be turned over to whoever is running the inter-league games for a decision. Ump shouldn't be forfeiting the game.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargee7
Who forfeited the game? This should be turned over to whoever is running the inter-league games for a decision. Ump shouldn't be forfeiting the game.

True...however, I was thinking as far as game fees are concerned....there might be a better term, but I can't think of one...
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

As far as fees are concerned, you were there, not notified otherwise, pay up. Then they can pay you or someone for the make-up game as well.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I was scheduled to do a high school playoff game this spring here in Maryland. My partner and I show up and start the game. Per our State rules, we are paid in cash prior to beginning the game (65.00). The game gets washed out in the bottom of the 1st by thunderstorms. We show up the next day and pick up the game from where it left off. The schools AD walks over and pays us another game fee. Sweet $$$$. She said its in the States contract that we get paid a full game fee again since we had to show up on another date to finish the game...
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSABlue
I was scheduled to do a high school playoff game this spring here in Maryland. My partner and I show up and start the game. Per our State rules, we are paid in cash prior to beginning the game (65.00). The game gets washed out in the bottom of the 1st by thunderstorms. We show up the next day and pick up the game from where it left off. The schools AD walks over and pays us another game fee. Sweet $$$$. She said its in the States contract that we get paid a full game fee again since we had to show up on another date to finish the game...

ABSOLUTELY....around here we call it the 'one pitch rule'..and have got double dips like that before....ALMOST makes up for the long crapola games...

Last edited by ASA/NYSSOBLUE; Mon Jun 18, 2007 at 10:07pm.
Old Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

We had a game in our post-season tournament this year and no umps showed up.
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 07:37am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMatt
That sounds like a league problem, Matt.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a night where the games had been moved to another ballpark (completely across town), and nobody told us. Long story short, it wasn't my scheduler's fault, it was the town's for not telling us all of the details.

My poor partner had driven over an hour and a half to help my boss out (we were short on umps). All for nothing.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
And...........?
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Because it involved a team I did not manage, I do not know if the reason was ever determined or revealed.
part-time coach,
here to learn.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A game in a tournament had no umpires? Did anyone talk with the TD or UIC? Seems very odd.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like local league play, not a full ASA-sanctioned tourney. TD? UIC? "What are those?"

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Sounds like local league play, not a full ASA-sanctioned tourney. TD? UIC? "What are those?"
Yeah, except he said "post-season tournament"...
Old Tue Jun 19, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Didn't mean to hijack the thread. Local area with 5 ASA rec leagues, about 12 teams total, playing intra-league and inter-league games during the regular season, with a tournament among all the teams at the end of regular play. Games were rotated around each league's venue over a couple of weeks, generally no more than 1 or 2 games on any given day. Most likely a communication problem of who needed to be where on what day.

As I said, I was not managing a team so I do not know all the particulars of how it happened.

"We are sorry for the interruption and return you to your regularly scheduled program."
part-time coach,
here to learn.