The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Sleeping Scorekeeper - What would you do?

Picture this: 4 softball diamonds in a pinwheel setup with a scorekeeper's tower in the middle. Windows are always closed, and the phones in the dugouts almost never work.

Frequently, one of the municipalities where this configuration is present has issues with scorekeepers not paying attention. I'll have two outs, and the board has none. Three runs will score, and 4 batters later, the score is still showing as 0-0.

I'm sure someone else on this board has encountered this situation. My question: what do you do to handle it? Most teams don't keep track of their score, much less the opponent's score. I've had some teams who were excellent at keeping good books, but they play against some teams who don't have anyone keeping the books. When the booth gets it wrong and a team corrects the scorekeeper, I'm the one getting beaten up by the other team (even though my give a *** factor is low if they aren't keeping the books). I've filed complaint after complaint, but it does little good.

If you see someone score, but the booth doesn't count it, how do you handle it? Or if you bang someone out at HP, but they count the run, what do you do? Last night, I took it up the a$$ from the teams when the scoreboard kept changing the score (even though the correct score was eventually posted).

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

I guess I would have to kick my own @$$

As it is here, unless it's a state/national or qualifyer, I am the PU, BU and scorekeeper.
Old Fri Jun 15, 2007, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I tell everyone to not pay attention to the man behind the curtain, or his scoreboard. I always assume the board is wrong, and don't even consider it.

If teams don't want to keep track of the score themselves, that is their problem and they forfeit the right to complain.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"