Thread: Subs
View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2007, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Subs

Last night, 18G tourney championship game - ASA.

This is about what the line up card looked like (all legal subs properly reported)

Line Up Position 6: 18 / 4 / 12 / 4

When #4 was returned to the game (replacing 12 on base) the opposing coach called time and talked and talked and talked. I was BU. After a bit the PU calls me and we get together.. I confirm for him all players may be substituted and reentered once.

The coach's contention (even going so far as apparently calling from the dugout an NCAA head coach who "confirmed for her") was that only a starter could be reentered.

Coach advised game was being finished under protest (unfortunately for her tourney rules clearly state "all protests are settled by the home plate umpire/tD"). But the dramatics of the issue were surreal.

This happened in a 0-0 ballgame, bottom of 7.

We went into the 8th/tie breaker and they lost bottom of 8th, this had no bearing on the game... but still the crowd who all believed her and was large.. was unhappy to say the least. "We gave them the game" etc. Because of this sub (who never scored or as far as I know made a defensive play).

So for my piece of mind, do I read and understand sub rule right or is there an aspect I am missing.. if me and my partner goofed that up, I need to know.

2nd Question.. is the coach correct for NCAA rules and just applying them to ASA?

Thanks