The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

So, then we have this...

Runner on third, 2 outs, 4-3 game, bottom of 4th, two fairly competitive teams from same organization. Up to this point things had been extremely friendly for all concerned. Winner earns 3rd place trophy. Loser, by agreement forged at the plate meeting, has to clean the bathrooms at their joint practice facility. (Trying to think of anything I might have left out.) ASA JO game. Oh yeah, left handed catcher. No count on batter.

First pitch comes in, ball or strike I do not remember. Catcher comes up throwing. Batter has stepped back a step or two but still has bat high up in the air as if... But wait...I don't have to judge intent anymore. DING! Catcher's attempted throw to third hits bat.

I immediately kill it. 3 outs. Interference. I thought it was a no brainer. I probably would have called it back in the old days (last year), when we had to judge there was intent. Hell, a national tournament UIC overruled me a few years back when I said there was no interference on a batter who did less...team protested, he came from almost a mile away, and ruled it was interference. (As you can see, I still haven't forgiven him or my partner that day.)

You would have thought I stripped to my jock strap, hollered "Your mother is a (your euphenism here)," danced a jig, tapped a keg and (sin of all sins) put a dip of Copenhagen between cheek and gum.

Charges included, but were not limited to:
*Worst call in the history of softball
*That's horrible, blue
*So, you're telling us we can just drill the batter in the back of the head and the runner is out.
*Let the girls decide the game, not your stupid rule book
*If you call that you really do suck

And they were just getting started. One of the coaches was just as bad. In fact, now that I think about it, the fans were playing Follow the Leader.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

When you said the batter "stepped back", did she leave the box. If so, it doesn't make any difference what you judged, it is interference. If still in the box, the umpire must still judge a batter "actively hindered" which, from your description, occured without question.

However, I'm more interested in the "has bat high up in the air" comment. Last year in the 18U states, I saw a batter, after the pitch, hold the bat up (around eye level) with her arms extended. This placed the bat and hands (which are not part of the bat) in an area which may interfere with the catcher's throw to 2nd on a steal. The PU was so concentrated on the ball and throw to 2nd, he did not notice it. After the game while discussing that play, he said the catcher questioned him about it, but he did not see what I saw.

I now direct the PU to stay with the action at the plate until the throw is gone. While getting out from behind the plate to follow a play in case your partner may need help is important, it is not a reason to move away from the ball and what happens around it.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed May 30, 2007 at 09:24am.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

I like this part!!
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargee7

I like this part!!
Okay, so when that runner from 3B plows your catcher into the backstop to score the tying run, the umpire should just burn the book and let the girls decide the game.

Okay, I can live with that.
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Talking

John,

Are you trying to steal my thunder? Worst call in the history of softball? Up until reading this post, I thought I had that very prestigious distinction. Now that I apparently no longer hold the title of "you suck" I will have to go out and umpire some more games. Gee and I was going to retire on the "What? Is the other team paying you to make that call?"

Your friend
Bob
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I've often wondered if I died on the softball field, if my head stone would read "You Suck".

Coroner: Did you know this guy?
Fan: Sure, I think everyone knew him.
Coroner: Why's that?
Fan: Hell, everyone always greeted him when he was on the field, but I think he was deaf?
Coroner: Deaf? Are you sure?
Fan: Must have been. The players must have respected him as they ALWAYS used his first and last name, but he would never respond.
Coroner: Really? First and last name and that son-of-a-***** wouldn't even acknowledge their greeting?
Fan: Yeah, I thought that was strange, but it never stopped. I would come out to the field, get a hot dog and soda and head toward the stands to watch the game. All game long you would hear, "Hey, You Suck", but Mr. Suck just ignored them and just kept working the game. Go figure!
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

Mike,
You are exactly right on all counts. I likely wouldn't have called anything except I stayed with the action at the plate. (Besides, I had a partner I could trust just fine to handle everything at 3rd base. ) And, yes, she did take a step backward. Still in the box - and I forgot the "You can't call that! She's still in the batter's box!" - and with the catcher being left-handed, F2 was reallllly reallllly impeded.

Bob,
I had another one tonight in a co-ed SP game. Pitcher was walking on VERY thin ice anyway when he commended me for being a great comedian. At least I think that's what he meant when he threw down his glove, got on both knees and yelled, "You have got to !@#$ing be kidding me."
I darned near threw my arm out.

Team's name in the game tonight was "EachHit," and as far as I am concerned that's exactly what they can do.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
However, I'm more interested in the "has bat high up in the air" comment. Last year in the 18U states, I saw a batter, after the pitch, hold the bat up (around eye level) with her arms extended. This placed the bat and hands (which are not part of the bat) in an area which may interfere with the catcher's throw to 2nd on a steal. The PU was so concentrated on the ball and throw to 2nd, he did not notice it. After the game while discussing that play, he said the catcher questioned him about it, but he did not see what I saw.
I understand how this hinders the catcher, but if it's where the batter was holding the bat during the pitch, is it "actively"?
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Maybe I need to be more specific. The "arms extended" meant that it was out, over the plate with the knob of the bat above her chin.

This was not her actual batting stance. The batter did not extend her arms and hold the bat in this position until the catcher started to come up with the ball on the throw to 2B.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
I understand how this hinders the catcher, but if it's where the batter was holding the bat during the pitch, is it "actively"?
I get that it's not what you meant. It was a hypothetical question about applying the "actively" concept.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I get that it's not what you meant. It was a hypothetical question about applying the "actively" concept.
And I clarified my original comment to show that in the given scenario, it was.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since we must allow the batter to bat in the legal manner in which s/he desires, that would, IMO, be how she chose to legally bat at that moment. However, then dropping the hands and bat while the catcher is throwing might be considered "actively hindering".

JMO, anyway.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Worst call in the history of softball

Just about every softball umpire I know has been thus accused.

After a game last year, a coach yelled to me, "You're the worst umpire I ever saw!" to which a fan responded, "You ain't seen too many umps, lady!" My partner informed me that the coach had adjudged him identically the day before.
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

To quote the nice gentleman after a district high school playoff game I just finished: "That was the worst officiated softball game I've seen in 20 years!"

I wanted to tell him that I had one more game to work, and that he should come watch that one too, just to be sure...

...but I didn't.

(p.s.: That was the game I tossed the assistant coach for calling me a f*king a$$hole.)
Old Thu May 31, 2007, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

"That was the worst officiated softball game I've seen in 20 years!"

Really, sir? So you quit umping in '87?