View Single Post
Old Wed May 30, 2007, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

When you said the batter "stepped back", did she leave the box. If so, it doesn't make any difference what you judged, it is interference. If still in the box, the umpire must still judge a batter "actively hindered" which, from your description, occured without question.

However, I'm more interested in the "has bat high up in the air" comment. Last year in the 18U states, I saw a batter, after the pitch, hold the bat up (around eye level) with her arms extended. This placed the bat and hands (which are not part of the bat) in an area which may interfere with the catcher's throw to 2nd on a steal. The PU was so concentrated on the ball and throw to 2nd, he did not notice it. After the game while discussing that play, he said the catcher questioned him about it, but he did not see what I saw.

I now direct the PU to stay with the action at the plate until the throw is gone. While getting out from behind the plate to follow a play in case your partner may need help is important, it is not a reason to move away from the ball and what happens around it.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Wed May 30, 2007 at 09:24am.