The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Four Balls and One Strike

I had a batter this weekend in one of my plate games who wasn't aware, so I thought I'd pass it along here. I was a bit amused - more so after a few beers that evening.
I am not one who announces "Ball Four, take your base.". Each "Ball" is said with the same intensity, same inflection & all that. And the only pitch that is said differently is a called third strike. I'll announce the count when something - walk or out - could happen as a result of the next pitch or when something has happened (steal, pick-off, ...). But they all sound pretty much the same.
This weekend I had a batter who had heard my "Three Balls, One Strike" announcement. The next pitch was "Ball". She turned around and looked at her 3B coach to get whatever sign she was to get. The coach looked kind of puzzled, but gave her a sign and she stepped back in. Before the catcher could give a sign from her coach, I announced "Four Balls, One Strike". The look on her face could have been on one of those "priceless" ads.
These were high schooled aged players - varsity or better skill level.
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

I thought we were taught to say the following, and I also remember this being in the Umpires' Conduct section of rule books and umpire manuals:

"Ball."
"Ball."
"Ball."
"Ball four."
Old Mon May 28, 2007, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Would you also allow the batter to step back in having just swung at strike three? i simply call all 4 balls the same and like you only differ on the third stike looking. However, if the batter doesn't move in the correct direction - I'll say (just loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear) "that's three" or "that's four" and they take off.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you also allow the batter to step back in having just swung at strike three?
Heck yeah! It's more fun to laugh at 'em!

Just kidding. "Ball Four".
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I don't do anything differently than Steve mentioned. However, on the fourth ball, I do remove my mask and step out from behind the catcher to watch the runner advance. This should clue them in as to what they should be doing at that time.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

I think the key here that we might want to impart to those who are unsure, is that we cannot ignore either strike three nor ball four. Despite mechanics that now tell us to NOT coach, not tell them where first base is, not announce "four", etc., our choices do not include allow another pitch to be thrown after a batter has completed her at-bat.

Step out from behind the catcher, do not let the pitcher throw another pitch. If necessary, you might add "that's four" to the oblivious batter who has walked; or "that's three" to the oblivious batter who has struck out. If everyone is just staring at you, you might want to ask your partner "what count do YOU have?"
Old Tue May 29, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I would only add "that's four" after the defense has gotten the ball to pitcher, and I still have a clueless batter/coaching staff. I hate when umpires say "Ball", and then realizing batter is still there add either "Take your base" or "That's four" before the defense has gotten the ball back (even worse when they do this when there's a stolen base going on). If the Batter-runner chooses not to run, don't remind them until there's NO chance that your reminder will give them an advantage (like the possibility of an extra base if the ball gets away somewhere).