The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question LL Pitching Regulations

I had a LL Juniors (13-14 year olds?) FP game tonight. Team V was beating the crud out of Team H, and in the third inning they changed pitchers. This second pitcher was taking a step backwards from the PP before bringing her hands together. Is this legal in LL Juniors?
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob
I had a LL Juniors (13-14 year olds?) FP game tonight. Team V was beating the crud out of Team H, and in the third inning they changed pitchers. This second pitcher was taking a step backwards from the PP before bringing her hands together. Is this legal in LL Juniors?
BlitzinBob - Looking at your other post - about unknown assignments from your association - I'm a bit surprised that they aren't giving you a rule book. I'm also a bit surprised that you're getting assignments to work games where you are not a registered umpire in the sanctioning body that you're working under - I'd be very concerned about insurance coverage with this.
Old Fri May 25, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
BlitzinBob - Looking at your other post - about unknown assignments from your association - I'm a bit surprised that they aren't giving you a rule book. I'm also a bit surprised that you're getting assignments to work games where you are not a registered umpire in the sanctioning body that you're working under - I'd be very concerned about insurance coverage with this.
Yeah, no rule book. Believe me, I am concerned. They know that I'm not LL registered, and trust me, next year I'll make sure I am. Last year I had only a couple of LL games but this year for some reason I'm starting off with a lot more. My partners thus far have not been LL registered either, and don't own a LL rule book.
Old Sat May 26, 2007, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Man, I'd be getting registered this year - and would not work another LL game until I was registered with LL.
If I understand how LL works, their insurance does not cover you when you are getting paid for doing the game. If you work for free, as a volunteer, their insurance covers you.
I won't do a game where I am not insured - period/exclamation point.
Old Sun May 27, 2007, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
Man, I'd be getting registered this year - and would not work another LL game until I was registered with LL.
If I understand how LL works, their insurance does not cover you when you are getting paid for doing the game. If you work for free, as a volunteer, their insurance covers you.
I won't do a game where I am not insured - period/exclamation point.
You would still be covered by insurance from the Federation if you do HS. I will tell you that this coverage sucks! It only covers what isn't covered by your regular insurance and then after a $1,000 deductable. When I ruptured my achilles last year - after surgery and rehab I got no money back in return. I lost about $2,000 in game fees but that wasn't covered either.

From the OP description - it's an IP. Pitching rules are basically the same as NF so the hands need to come together as the step is being taken. That's in all levels of LL - and the penalty is just a ball on the batter, runners do NOT move up as in NF.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun May 27, 2007, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
From the OP description - it's an IP. Pitching rules are basically the same as NF so the hands need to come together as the step is being taken. That's in all levels of LL - and the penalty is just a ball on the batter, runners do NOT move up as in NF.
Whoops! Are you sure you said what you know? Stepping back before the hand come together is not an IP.

The step back must begin before the hands come together. The step back may end before or after the hands come together. NFHS, LL, and Men's ASA all read the same.

WMB
Old Sun May 27, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Whoops! Are you sure you said what you know? Stepping back before the hand come together is not an IP.

The step back must begin before the hands come together. The step back may end before or after the hands come together. NFHS, LL, and Men's ASA all read the same.

WMB
I stand corrected - the step CAN take place before the hands come together. I am sooooo glad I got today's mistake out of the way early!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun May 27, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I believe Steve M may be referring more toward liability issues instead of medical. Does Fed cover that side, also?
Old Sun May 27, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I believe Steve M may be referring more toward liability issues instead of medical. Does Fed cover that side, also?
I "believe" that each NF official has $1,000,000 liability. Other officials organizaions like IAABO in basketball provide an additional $1,000,000.

I'm not positive on this but I'm pretty sure of it . . .