The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is this interference?
Yes, this is INT 3 13.64%
No, this is not INT 19 86.36%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Interference - Am I missing something?? (Poll)

Last night, a couple of my fellow umps from our org and I were chatting about interference. Here's one such play that was discussed...

R1 on 1st, no outs. B2 hits the ball to F5, who throws it to F6 on 2nd base. F6 tags 2nd base for force out and positions to throw to F3 at 1st. R1 hookslides into 2nd, his legs coming towards F6's legs. F6 changes his stance to avoid R1, and throws to F3, but the BR beats it in a bang-bang play.

My call would be that R1 hindered F6's ability to make the play, and as such, this is a dead ball, BR2 is also out due to the interference. My fellow umps say that because R1 was "still within reach" of 2nd base, this is not interference.

I say my fellow umps need a few more clinics. I'm actually embarassed to post this question, but they insisted they were right. They even told me, "go post it on that forum and see what they say!" So here it is. Interference or not?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Last night, a couple of my fellow umps from our org and I were chatting about interference. Here's one such play that was discussed...

R1 on 1st, no outs. B2 hits the ball to F5, who throws it to F6 on 2nd base. F6 tags 2nd base for force out and positions to throw to F3 at 1st. R1 hookslides into 2nd, his legs coming towards F6's legs. F6 changes his stance to avoid R1, and throws to F3, but the BR beats it in a bang-bang play.

My call would be that R1 hindered F6's ability to make the play, and as such, this is a dead ball, BR2 is also out due to the interference. My fellow umps say that because R1 was "still within reach" of 2nd base, this is not interference.

I say my fellow umps need a few more clinics. I'm actually embarassed to post this question, but they insisted they were right. They even told me, "go post it on that forum and see what they say!" So here it is. Interference or not?
Speaking ASA

Bad news, bubba. Your partners are correct.

The runner was doing nothing wrong, but sliding toward the base to which he was advancing. As long as it was a slide and within reach of the base, there is no violation. Only way you get INT on this is if the runner tries to kick or whip F6 and that is not indicated in the post. "Take out" slides are not illegal.
Old Wed May 23, 2007, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps I had a different picture in my head about what I was discussing with my partners. What I was picturing was the runner sliding with one foot towards the base with another foot going for F6's legs. I neglected to mention that one of them even said, "yeah, I'd go for his legs to try and break up the double-play." While the runners get their "choice" of how they want to approach the bag, my understanding of INT was that the defense must still be allowed to execute their play as well.

R/S #33: "Defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field or throw the ball without being hindered." If a runner's leg is clearly not going for the base and is going directly to the fielder, hindering him from executing his normal throw, that to me says INT. I consider it to be the same as if the runner had stood straight up when coming into the base, effectively blocking the fielder's throw.

Maybe my OP and what I envisioned in my head (described above) are two different scenarios.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu May 24, 2007, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps I had a different picture in my head about what I was discussing with my partners. What I was picturing was the runner sliding with one foot towards the base with another foot going for F6's legs. I neglected to mention that one of them even said, "yeah, I'd go for his legs to try and break up the double-play." While the runners get their "choice" of how they want to approach the bag, my understanding of INT was that the defense must still be allowed to execute their play as well.

R/S #33: "Defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the ball anywhere on the playing field or throw the ball without being hindered." If a runner's leg is clearly not going for the base and is going directly to the fielder, hindering him from executing his normal throw, that to me says INT. I consider it to be the same as if the runner had stood straight up when coming into the base, effectively blocking the fielder's throw.

Maybe my OP and what I envisioned in my head (described above) are two different scenarios.
Same answer. There is no rule regarding the method in which a player must slide into a base, as long as it is to the base.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Which set of rules were the teams playing by may I ask?
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

I've got to agree with Mike here. If R1 was executing a legal slide and was within reach of the base, I would not call interference.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
What I was picturing was the runner sliding with one foot towards the base with another foot going for F6's legs.
That paints a painful picture in my head.

As long as there is an attempt to reach the bag, the slide location is irrelevant.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump
Which set of rules were the teams playing by may I ask?
ASA. It's all I call anymore.

Old Thu May 24, 2007, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

With all due respect and appreciation to all those posting, can you cite a rule on this? Eventually, this is going to happen, and if I don't call it, someone is going to want to know why.

Old Thu May 24, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
With all due respect and appreciation to all those posting, can you cite a rule on this? Eventually, this is going to happen, and if I don't call it, someone is going to want to know why.
Prove a negative? There is no rule to cite as there is no violation.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Cite RS 13 (Crash Interference), which says plainly, "A runner may slide into the fielder."
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Cite RS 13 (Crash Interference), which says plainly, "A runner may slide into the fielder."
I don't have my book on me, but I shall take your word for it. That's exactly the kind of info I needed. Mucho appreciated.

I both stand and sit corrected. Thanks, all!

Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't have my book on me, but I shall take your word for it. That's exactly the kind of info I needed. Mucho appreciated.

I both stand and sit corrected. Thanks, all!
Since I bought the handy-dandy rule book on CD (plus mechanics simulator) from ASA, I can give you the statement in context without a bunch of typing...
Quote:
13. CRASHING INTO A FIELDER WITH THE BALL. (INTERFERENCE)
In an effort to prevent injury and protect a defensive player attempting to make a play on a runner, a runner must be called out when they remain on their feet and crash into a defensive player who is holding the ball and waiting to apply a tag. To prevent the out ruling, the runner may slide, jump over the defender holding the ball, go around the defender or return to the previous base touched. If the act is determined to be flagrant, the offender is ejected. A runner may slide into the fielder.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

BTW, NFHS actually includes a definition of an illegal slide in their rule book. You can be pretty sure that if the slide was legal for NFHS, it was legal for ASA (although the inverse may not necessarily be true).

Here is the NFHS definition:
Quote:
Rule 2: Definitions
Section 52: Slide: Legal, Illegal
Article 2

Art. 2... Illegal Slide. A slide is illegal if:
a. the runner uses a rolling or cross-body slide into the fielder;
b. the runner's raised leg is higher than the fielder's knee when the fielder is in a standing position;
c. the runner goes beyond the base and makes contact with or alters the play of the fielder;
d. the runner slashes or kicks the fielder with either leg; or
e. the runner tries to injure the fielder.
Old Thu May 24, 2007, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
BTW, NFHS actually includes a definition of an illegal slide in their rule book. You can be pretty sure that if the slide was legal for NFHS, it was legal for ASA (although the inverse may not necessarily be true).

Here is the NFHS definition:
What I was envisioning in the described situation sounds more like a combination of C and D. I was envisioning more of a sweep than an "oops, my leg got a little too close." That's why I kept saying INT on this play.