The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

24" width

Single umpire game (which means no one is cleaning off the pitcher's plate between innings). 14U, 2 strong teams. One pitcher takes a wide step, which is probably outside the width much of the time, once definitely outside the width (which I call).

With the pitcher's plate half buried, I gave her the benefit of the small amount of doubt I had that she was outside the width.

I hope my choice of words make it clear I was almost (but not completely) sure she was stepping outside the width, but since the plate was obscured, I wasn't 100% certain.

Did I do right by not making the call (except for the one time when she left no doubt)?
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't call something like that if I wasn't sure of it. If the lines of the batter's box are wiped out, I don't call it unless I'm absolutely positive their foot was completely out of the box when they made contact.

What's preventing you from taking a quick jog to the PP and brushing it off?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

This is the one call that has to be obvious, and I do mean obvious, for me to call.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
This is the one call that has to be obvious, and I do mean obvious, for me to call.
With the ball arriving at 45 degree angle.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
I've been told by local D2/D3 (only one D1 college in MN) assignors, "Nobody wants you to call the 24" plate violation, and if you want to go anywhere, you better not call it." That's the college level, not 14U. I disagree with that mentality, since there can be an obvious advantage to breaking that rule, but, at the same time, it better be REALLY obvious to get called.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Single umpire game (which means no one is cleaning off the pitcher's plate between innings).
This is where I have a problem. Why weren't you dusting it off every half inning, especially if you had doubt where she was landing? 3rd out, jog out, dust it off, come back to the plate. It takes you all of 20 seconds...
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
This is where I have a problem. Why weren't you dusting it off every half inning, especially if you had doubt where she was landing? 3rd out, jog out, dust it off, come back to the plate. It takes you all of 20 seconds...
And when the pitcher comes out and kicks dirt on the PP during her warm-ups?

As previously noted, like stepping out of the box to hit the ball, it must be obvious and for a PU working alone, it's going to be so obvious, he doesn't need to see the PP to call it.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
I've been told by local D2/D3 (only one D1 college in MN) assignors, "Nobody wants you to call the 24" plate violation, and if you want to go anywhere, you better not call it." That's the college level, not 14U. I disagree with that mentality, since there can be an obvious advantage to breaking that rule, but, at the same time, it better be REALLY obvious to get called.
Have you attended any of the National/Regional NCAA meetings? I have never heard anything like this before.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
And when the pitcher comes out and kicks dirt on the PP during her warm-ups?
This happens, and you have to live with it. However, taking that little effort to show that you give a $h!t is good for the game. Hearing the "Thanks, Blue" is a nice thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
As previously noted, like stepping out of the box to hit the ball, it must be obvious and for a PU working alone, it's going to be so obvious, he doesn't need to see the PP to call it.
So why do we dust off home plate? If it's obviously unhitable, then we should call it a ball...right? Same kind of logic?
Old Mon May 21, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
This happens, and you have to live with it. However, taking that little effort to show that you give a $h!t is good for the game. Hearing the "Thanks, Blue" is a nice thing.
Agree, and routinely clean the PP when necessary

Quote:
So why do we dust off home plate? If it's obviously unhitable, then we should call it a ball...right? Same kind of logic?
Because....this slab of rubber is the focal point on whether a pitch is to be ruled a ball or strike, which is a major part of the game. Personally, I would love to just call strikes for any pitch the umpire believes is hittable. OTOH, there are a lot of umpires who believe they are top-notch, that make a pitcher hit a zone the size of a postage stamp.

So, we need to have something to determine which pitch shall be ruled a strike.

Besides, a UIC isn't going to tell you to not call balls and strikes.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Have you attended any of the National/Regional NCAA meetings? I have never heard anything like this before.
I don't hear it there either, just from the 'gentlemen' who handle the assignments locally.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
What's preventing you from taking a quick jog to the PP and brushing it off?
Well, in my case, a little over 200 pounds of living breathing bullspit.

Actually, I scared the spit out of a pitcher in a coed game Monday night. I went sprinting by to make a call at 2B. Heard the pitcher, after regaining her composure, give me the usual "I mean none of the other umpires have been out here to make that call all year."

Damn that makes one feel good.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
Well, in my case, a little over 200 pounds of living breathing bullspit.

Actually, I scared the spit out of a pitcher in a coed game Monday night. I went sprinting by to make a call at 2B. Heard the pitcher, after regaining her composure, give me the usual "I mean none of the other umpires have been out here to make that call all year."

Damn that makes one feel good.
Rock on, fella!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

If anyone wants to see the 24" rule TOTALLY ignored, watch the D2 championship game and the LHU pitcher. She's stepping so wide she is damned near out of the circle...sideways.
Old Tue May 22, 2007, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
If anyone wants to see the 24" rule TOTALLY ignored, watch the D2 championship game and the LHU pitcher. She's stepping so wide she is damned near out of the circle...sideways.
Glad you didn't say D3 as one of my deputies is working the plate on the "if" game today.