The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA, but other codes are probably similar…

The ASA rules treat the time-limit game as the illegitimate child of softball (JMO). This despite the fact that in JO Fast Pitch 99% of the games are time-limit games. I imagine the percentage is similar for adult and slow pitch.

Issues with the ASA time-limit rules:
a) There is no rule on when the clock starts.
b) There is no rule on under what conditions (if ever) the umpire may stop the game clock.
c) There are no rules on what behavior by teams or coaches is allowed to try to manage the clock.
d) There are no rules on how the umpire is to manage the clock in end-of-game situations.

Regarding a): In league games, I will start the clock when the pitcher receives the ball for her warm-ups. In tournaments (where between-game timing is short), I will start the clock at the end of the meeting with the coaches. (The last thing I say in the meeting is something like “The clock has started, folks.”). What do you do? It seems obvious to me that if the game clock is used to make critical decisions at the end of the game, that the rules should state when the clock starts.

Regarding b): I have stopped the clock under rare situations. Last summer (shortly after the Korey Stringer
death) I was calling a tournament during a 105+ degree heat index. I told both coaches I would grant time out any time they wanted to take water to their players or allow them to cool off, but that I would be stopping the game clock during extended water breaks. Again, if the game clock is used for critical end-game decisions, it seems the rules should address whether the umpire may or may not stop the clock, and if he may, under what conditions (e.g. delay of game, etc.). Have you ever stopped the game clock? If so, why? Do you think the rules allow the umpire to stop the clock?

Regarding c): I’m sure you have all seen various kinds of game delay tactics used, from lengthy sign-taking, to everyone taking practice swings, to even replacing the pitcher a couple of times in the same inning. Other games with a clock (e.g. basketball and football) have rules describing what is legal to manage the clock (e.g. strolling back to the huddle; spiking the ball, etc.) and what is illegal (e.g. standing around on the wrong side of the ball; faking an injury, etc.). Do you think it would help if the softball rules were more specific than “tactics noticeably designed to delay or hasten” in describing what is legal and what is illegal?

Regarding d): The rules don’t state specifically what happens when the final out of the inning occurs at about the same time as the clock expiring. There is no “horn” that sounds as the clock expires. ASA Rule 1 says the new inning starts “immediately” upon the third out of the previous inning. Is that the standard you use to determine if there is time for a new inning to start? Have you ever fudged the game clock to hasten the end? If so, why and under what conditions? Have you ever fudged the game clock to allow a new inning to start even though the clock had expired a few seconds before the final out? If so, why and under what conditions? Do you think the umpire is allowed to fudge the clock?

Should there be a section added to the rules (probably "Rule 5 - The Game" for ASA) dealing with clock management?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

I always started the clock when the pitcher was on the rubber with the ball, the catcher was in position, and the batter was in the box ready to bat. To start it earlier is taking time away from the teams. I stopped the clock on a few occassions when there was an injury on the field that prevented the game from proceeding, and if there was a discussion on a rule interpretation. Also, if I felt a team was trying delaying tactics which didn't warrant a forfeit, I'd tell the teams that I was stopping the clock so neither team could gain an advantage.

I announced the starting time to both scorekeepers, and I kept the time. I would announce the time, and then, "By my watch".

Bob
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I start the clock when the pitcher starts her warm up pitches, but isn't the rule in ASA or Fed. or both that the game starts when the PU says "play ball"
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

In tournament games and league play, I start the clock at the end of the pre-game conference. After discussing this in pre-game, then with my announcement, everyone knows when the clock has been started.

The players and coaches have been at the field long enough for everyone to be warmed up and ready, so the only thing to delay the start is taking the field. I used to start the clock when the pitcher took the mound, but it is amazing how much quicker teams take the field once the clock has started.

As far as stopping the clock - it must be "in my judgement" an extenuating circumstance. Usually, the only time the clock stops is if an injured player is delayed from or unable to leave the field.

If the clock runs out during a play, I generally let the play finish, unless standing rules for the league/tournament specify DROP DEAD at the moment time expires.

It would be nice to have a standardized method for running the clock. But without being in the book, I am comfortable applying my method. Delay tactics could be defined, but they will always come up with something new. Most likely it will remain up to the umpire's judgement.

[Edited by ntxblue on Jan 16th, 2002 at 02:40 PM]
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

a) In most of our tournaments, there is a statement in the tournament information sheet that says "all games will have a time limit of xxx, clock starts at the conclustion of the pre-game conference."

b) The only times that I have stopped the clock are for injuries that will require a significant amount of time to treat and/or remove the player. My judgement here.

c) I hate this. I try not to let either team do anything more than what they have been doing all game as far as excessive signs and/or practice swings. You really cannot prevent a team from changing pitchers, just try to manage it the best you can.

d) I always go by "the next half-inning starts with the third out of the previous half-inning" guideline. If there is any time on the game clock when that third out happens, we start a new half, if warranted. I've been burned by that, ie. 15 seconds left on the timer in a blowout game that would have been over. But hey, the game is for the kids, right?

Overall, I am with you. I would like some guidelines from the ASA on timed games. Our association tries to keep everyone on the same page, but that doesn't help much when the teams here travel to other tournaments that our association doesn't cover.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Welcome Andy

I basically agree with everything and procedure that Andy just stated and the next half inning begins when the 3rd out is recorded is a rule not just a guide line so it is protestable if not followed. Also agree would like to see ASA make some guidelines concenering clock.

My Penny's worth

Don
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

a) I always start the clock at the end of the coaches' conference in both tournaments and league play. It is true that when they know the clock is started, they really hasten onto the field.

b) The only times that i can recall stopping the clock have all involved a major injury of some sort. There is one exception that I can recall. Two teams, two catcher's masks, neither were in compliance. I stopped the clock and gave both coaches ten minutes to be in compliance or the game was going to be called. They found a legal mask that they could share. (Pretty quickly I might add.)

c)I agree that this is something that is best left up to umpire discretion. Most of us can tell when a team is doing something to intentionally delay the game, and it is covered in the rules what we as umpires can do if we feel that this is the case.

d)Fudging the clock. Interesting concept. Let it run and let them play. Call time when the clock says, and finish the inning unless there is a drop dead rule in effect. Whenever time expires, I let the folks know by loudly saying "Time limit has expired, we will finish the inning or whatever it takes." That way there was no question when the time expired.

I have no problem with the use of the clock not being outlined in any of the rule books. With enough agreement, and enough common sense, it is something that can still be applied fairly without being mandated.

Scott
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

I have..........and will probably continue to start the clock on the first warm-up pitch by the Home Team Pitcher..........That's just the way we do it........

I have been in some tournaments that the UIC directed us to start the clock at the end of the Pre-Game Conference......

As far as using the clock to delay the game.........I will allow any LEGAL means to do that.........

Changing pitchers/catchers/etc.........

Having individual players call time to tie their shoes is NOT a legal means.........

I have stopped a game........and have had ALL defensive players tie their shoes.......and told the coach.........that's IT.......

But............if the coach has a legitimate request........i.e. - change a player..........then it is alright with me......

Joel

Old Thu Jan 17, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I always start the clock when I am in the golf cart being
ferried to the field of assignment.....[grin] Just kidding
nautrally.

In AFA it is always stated on the tournament handout
sheets each umpire and team coach receives. Clock starts
when pre-game conference ends. As for stopping clock, only
on serious injury and protest. All protest in AFA must be
decided prior to either team leaving the field. Also covered
in tournament rules/regulations. Not many protest, as we
view everything as a judgement call.......kidding....

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.