Thread: Time Management
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA, but other codes are probably similar…

The ASA rules treat the time-limit game as the illegitimate child of softball (JMO). This despite the fact that in JO Fast Pitch 99% of the games are time-limit games. I imagine the percentage is similar for adult and slow pitch.

Issues with the ASA time-limit rules:
a) There is no rule on when the clock starts.
b) There is no rule on under what conditions (if ever) the umpire may stop the game clock.
c) There are no rules on what behavior by teams or coaches is allowed to try to manage the clock.
d) There are no rules on how the umpire is to manage the clock in end-of-game situations.

Regarding a): In league games, I will start the clock when the pitcher receives the ball for her warm-ups. In tournaments (where between-game timing is short), I will start the clock at the end of the meeting with the coaches. (The last thing I say in the meeting is something like “The clock has started, folks.”). What do you do? It seems obvious to me that if the game clock is used to make critical decisions at the end of the game, that the rules should state when the clock starts.

Regarding b): I have stopped the clock under rare situations. Last summer (shortly after the Korey Stringer
death) I was calling a tournament during a 105+ degree heat index. I told both coaches I would grant time out any time they wanted to take water to their players or allow them to cool off, but that I would be stopping the game clock during extended water breaks. Again, if the game clock is used for critical end-game decisions, it seems the rules should address whether the umpire may or may not stop the clock, and if he may, under what conditions (e.g. delay of game, etc.). Have you ever stopped the game clock? If so, why? Do you think the rules allow the umpire to stop the clock?

Regarding c): I’m sure you have all seen various kinds of game delay tactics used, from lengthy sign-taking, to everyone taking practice swings, to even replacing the pitcher a couple of times in the same inning. Other games with a clock (e.g. basketball and football) have rules describing what is legal to manage the clock (e.g. strolling back to the huddle; spiking the ball, etc.) and what is illegal (e.g. standing around on the wrong side of the ball; faking an injury, etc.). Do you think it would help if the softball rules were more specific than “tactics noticeably designed to delay or hasten” in describing what is legal and what is illegal?

Regarding d): The rules don’t state specifically what happens when the final out of the inning occurs at about the same time as the clock expiring. There is no “horn” that sounds as the clock expires. ASA Rule 1 says the new inning starts “immediately” upon the third out of the previous inning. Is that the standard you use to determine if there is time for a new inning to start? Have you ever fudged the game clock to hasten the end? If so, why and under what conditions? Have you ever fudged the game clock to allow a new inning to start even though the clock had expired a few seconds before the final out? If so, why and under what conditions? Do you think the umpire is allowed to fudge the clock?

Should there be a section added to the rules (probably "Rule 5 - The Game" for ASA) dealing with clock management?