Thread: Time Management
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

a) I always start the clock at the end of the coaches' conference in both tournaments and league play. It is true that when they know the clock is started, they really hasten onto the field.

b) The only times that i can recall stopping the clock have all involved a major injury of some sort. There is one exception that I can recall. Two teams, two catcher's masks, neither were in compliance. I stopped the clock and gave both coaches ten minutes to be in compliance or the game was going to be called. They found a legal mask that they could share. (Pretty quickly I might add.)

c)I agree that this is something that is best left up to umpire discretion. Most of us can tell when a team is doing something to intentionally delay the game, and it is covered in the rules what we as umpires can do if we feel that this is the case.

d)Fudging the clock. Interesting concept. Let it run and let them play. Call time when the clock says, and finish the inning unless there is a drop dead rule in effect. Whenever time expires, I let the folks know by loudly saying "Time limit has expired, we will finish the inning or whatever it takes." That way there was no question when the time expired.

I have no problem with the use of the clock not being outlined in any of the rule books. With enough agreement, and enough common sense, it is something that can still be applied fairly without being mandated.

Scott