Thread: Time Management
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

In tournament games and league play, I start the clock at the end of the pre-game conference. After discussing this in pre-game, then with my announcement, everyone knows when the clock has been started.

The players and coaches have been at the field long enough for everyone to be warmed up and ready, so the only thing to delay the start is taking the field. I used to start the clock when the pitcher took the mound, but it is amazing how much quicker teams take the field once the clock has started.

As far as stopping the clock - it must be "in my judgement" an extenuating circumstance. Usually, the only time the clock stops is if an injured player is delayed from or unable to leave the field.

If the clock runs out during a play, I generally let the play finish, unless standing rules for the league/tournament specify DROP DEAD at the moment time expires.

It would be nice to have a standardized method for running the clock. But without being in the book, I am comfortable applying my method. Delay tactics could be defined, but they will always come up with something new. Most likely it will remain up to the umpire's judgement.

[Edited by ntxblue on Jan 16th, 2002 at 02:40 PM]