The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Arrow 2 man - R1, PU covers 3B

Hi Guys,

Had this happened to me tonight...never happend before, until tonight. 2 man game, R1. Batter doubles to deep left center, I (PU) properly communicate to my partner that "I've got 3rd if he comes," I was there, in proper position to make a call. Ball is not thrown to 3B, coach sends him! Now I have a play at the plate...I was able to get to 1BLX, but I would've loved to be 3BLX, for a better view of the play. I hustled, I am in pretty good shape, I made my call which I feel I got correct, but I really feel like 3BLX, would've been the ideal place to be for this type of play. My gut tells me that I probably didn't need to go as far up the 3B line for a play at 3B...when there wasn't going to be a play there (I didn't know that until it was too late)...but what if there was a play??? see what I mean? It's like damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Alright guys...help me out here...what can I do differently, if anything...or is this just a flaw of the 2 man system? Thanks guys...your constructive feedback is appreciated.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just read the play and determine where to go. It really is not that hard to do and if you can only get 1BX then so be it. Two man is not the best system, so you have to make some sacrifices.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like you just didn't read the play well. From your post, sounds like you hung out in the library looking at the dumb blonde a little to long. Once you see that no play is developing at 3B, start heading back toward home, letting your partner know your going home. Question for you, were you in the cut out waiting for a play or in the library (along the third base line in foul territory)? If you were inside, sounds like you should have remained in the library, read the play and head home.
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

IF you were not in the library but in the cutout then you have to ask yourself (and from your post you did not): Do I have a play?
What constitutes a play? Fielder -- Runner ----- and THE BALL.
Missing one of the three (Ball) ... no play and follow the advice of justanotherblue and start drifting home (I'm going home!!!). Then if you have the three elements stated above, you get the best angle possible and call him OUT!
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H.
IF you were not in the library but in the cutout then you have to ask yourself (and from your post you did not): Do I have a play?
What constitutes a play? Fielder -- Runner ----- and THE BALL.
Missing one of the three (Ball) ... no play and follow the advice of justanotherblue and start drifting home (I'm going home!!!). Then if you have the three elements stated above, you get the best angle possible and call him OUT!
Usually that would be if there is a throw to a base and it will be relatively close. Usually you can read this easily by where the ball is and where is the runner. Now if you tell your partner you are at going home any play back at that base the BU would take. It is all about communication.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 02:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
If you were inside, sounds like you should have remained in the library, read the play and head home.
Colonel Mustard, in the study, with a rope.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 08:26am
Stop staring at me swan.

Thanks fellas...I don't think I read the play correctly which is why I couldn't get 3BLX and you all supported that. Stared at the blond too long. I was still in foul territory...it wasn't a good read on my part.