The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm still fairly new at this and I have two questions I'd like the forum's advice on.
First, when I'm in A what fly balls do I REALLY go out on? (I know the mechanic is the curving ball toward the line and the circus-catch. But in real life which ones do I really want to go out on?) Same, in B and C - do I want to go out to the close flies in center or rely on PU who in pre-game said he'd cover those.
Second, on the ball beat into the dirt if BR is inside the baseline do I ring him up if the catcher or pitcher has to throw over him and it gets past the first baseman, or do I make the fielder actually have to hit BR to get the baseline call?
THANKS!
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

You'll get different answers. Here is the one our association has settled on.

On a fly ball to anywhere right of dead center, we take a read step, read the ball and equally importantly, read the fielders. If a fair/foul decision will be needed, if a home run/ground double question may arise, or if the fielder(s) is/are having to scramble forwards, backwards or toward the RF fouline, we go out.

Only when the fielder can easily settle in under the ball do we go in and pivot.

[Edited by GarthB on May 7th, 2005 at 06:10 PM]
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rickfriedmann
Same, in B and C - do I want to go out to the close flies in center or rely on PU who in pre-game said he'd cover those.
THANKS!
I am somewhat confused. Did the PU tell you he would take catches in the outfield made by the centerfielder? If so, than I have no advice for you. The PU must feel pretty good about himself to take those calls. As PU, I will take everything outside of the right and leftfielder and I will take the 1st and 3rd basemen. If I see the BU going out on a close play in the outfield, I know my responsibility changes to cover the baserunners. Hopefully this was covered in our pregame conversations.

As far as the baserunner running in Fair territory to 1st, I have interference if I feel the catcher altered his throw because of the presence of the B/R or if he held his throw to avoid hitting the B/R. A judgment call, I know, but I would rather have that than catchers throwing baseballs at runners to get my call.

There is a great deal of disagreement on this issue and this is just MY approach. You will undoubtedly see others appear now.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Advice

Tony - In pregame PU pretty much set up the standard mechanic. However, as the game progressed (and as I said I'm fairly new) I found myself wondering exactly WHEN a ball to right (in A) or to the center of the field (in B/C) is one I want to go out on. I guess my concern is how "not routine" should the fly be before I go out on one.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

When in A you may go out whenever you feel it is necessary, and even if it becomes "not necessary" it is not a crisis. PU should be prepared to cover BR in any instance that you go out, just be sure you STAY out. GarthB gave an excellent summary of when to go out.

When in B or C, you would NEVER go out. Catches/no catches in the V are your responsibility with runners on. Back up into the mound area to see the catch and also runners touch and/or tag up. PU has touches of 3B.

If your PU partner is claiming he will take all fly balls in the outfield all the time, he is not using the "new" V mechanics (which are at least ten years old). Try to forget what he "taught" you in this regard.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Advice

GarthB, Tony and Macaroo - THANKS for your advice!
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
As I have been told when in A there is no wrong choice as to when you go out. I personnally will not if I read "can of corn". If I read fair/foul, possible diving catch or converging fielders, then I will go out. Again as stated before, get with your partner on it. If Jumbo is working the plate, 5 will give you 10 he will not want you to go out at all (nor should you want to as he will not be able to make it to second).

In B or C, never go out. Maybe go to the edge of the grass on the infield (not the edge of the outfield grass) if you are reading converging fielders or possible diving catch, if you can. With a runner on 1st, 3rd or 1st and 3rd you can get away with this easier but with a runner on second you need to work angle to line up catch and tag as best as possible.

As far as the running lane/throw from the "box" call, OBR you need a quality throw. If the catcher/pitcher launches it, then any interpetatations, that I have seen or been told of, say you have nothing. In Fed you can call the interfernce. That is straight out the case book.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm still fairly new at this and I have two questions I'd like the forum's advice on.
First, when I'm in A what fly balls do I REALLY go out on? (I know the mechanic is the curving ball toward the line and the circus-catch. But in real life which ones do I really want to go out on?) Same, in B and C - do I want to go out to the close flies in center or rely on PU who in pre-game said he'd cover those.
Second, on the ball beat into the dirt if BR is inside the baseline do I ring him up if the catcher or pitcher has to throw over him and it gets past the first baseman, or do I make the fielder actually have to hit BR to get the baseline call?
THANKS!
My advice would be to go out as much as possible. Some people say to only go out on "trouble balls", but they are incorrect. The coaches really like an umpiring crew who hustles, so go out every chance you get (just don't go out on a ground ball, I did that once, and it looks bad). Also don't forget to go out on fly balls hit to the center fielder when he is coming in towards second base. This is the BU's call, so make sure to get out there to make the catch/no catch call. If the ball is not caught, continue along the outfield grass to a position about where F4 normally plays. This is a form of "rimming", and will allow you to get the optimal angle for the play on the BR at second. If you have any other mechanics/rotations questions, just consult the Federation manual. It is the best mechanics book on the market.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
THANKS!
It dawns on me, since you said you're fairly new at umpiring, that you may be referring to mechanics on a Little League 60 foot diamond. The replies you've gotten so far area all assuming standard 2-man mechanics on a 90 foot diamond. If you're talking about a 60 foot diamond, especially in your question about "going out" when in B or C position, you should so clarify.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

If the ball is not caught, continue along the outfield grass to a position about where F4 normally plays. This is a form of "rimming", and will allow you to get the optimal angle for the play on the BR at second. If you have any other mechanics/rotations questions, just consult the Federation manual. It is the best mechanics book on the market.
You're kidding, right?
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Macaroo
Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB

If the ball is not caught, continue along the outfield grass to a position about where F4 normally plays. This is a form of "rimming", and will allow you to get the optimal angle for the play on the BR at second. If you have any other mechanics/rotations questions, just consult the Federation manual. It is the best mechanics book on the market.
You're kidding, right?
Luke (LDUB) has been doing a lot of kidding the past few days. I would suggest reading his posts with a smile on your face.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Regarding the throwing lane - the rule specifically states that BR can be called out for interfering with the RECEIVING of a throw, not that he can be called out for interfering with the THROWING. Consider that when ruling on a throw down the first base line. It requires a quality throw. Contact with the ball is NOT required - but interference with the CATCH (not the throw) IS required.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

First, when I'm in A what fly balls do I REALLY go out on?

The answer to the aforementioned can vary game to game. What I mean is this.

Are you doing a night game where the lighting isn't perfect.

Is the field facing the wrong way? By the wrong way I mean the sun is directly in your eyes.

To sum up this is a must in Pre-Game and if the PU says he is having trouble picking up the ball from center field to right, then when you are in "A" - Go out on EVERY fly ball to play it safe. Also, make it CRYSTAL CLEAR that if you are going to go out that the PU hustles and takes all the base-running responsibilities.

As others mentioned you NEVER go out in "B" or "C" but you can go to the edge of the dirt area where the outfield grass starts to get a good look.

Follow the mechanics of your association but adjust to field demensions and night games if you have to.

Pete Booth