The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Little league clarification

I am wondering what the correct ruling is for a situation that occured in a game last night for a major girls softball game. Girl at bat was hit by ball during the swing, resulting in a 2 ball 1 strike count. After several minutes the girl could not continue, and that is where my question is. Since my league uses the continuous batting order, what is the proper way to replace the batter? Next batter take over count; new player (late in the order) take over count; out and then next batter?

We ended up going to the next batter taking the place with the same count. She ended up with a sacrafice so it did not hurt us. I would just like to know the proper way to handle that. Thanks!
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDot
I am wondering what the correct ruling is for a situation that occured in a game last night for a major girls softball game. Girl at bat was hit by ball during the swing, resulting in a 2 ball 1 strike count. After several minutes the girl could not continue, and that is where my question is. Since my league uses the continuous batting order, what is the proper way to replace the batter? Next batter take over count; new player (late in the order) take over count; out and then next batter?

We ended up going to the next batter taking the place with the same count. She ended up with a sacrafice so it did not hurt us. I would just like to know the proper way to handle that. Thanks!
Totally unfair to the next batter, who had to assume the injured batter's count.

The proper way, in my opinion, is to do away with the continous batting order, especially in Majors and above. In fact, in any game where there is pitching.

Bob
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoDot

In accordance with Little League Softball Rules, Rule 4.04, you would just skip the injured/ill player without penalty. This would also apply to any player who must leave the game site after the start of the game. If the injured, ill or absent player returns, he/she is merely inserted into their original spot in the batting order and the game continues.

In your case, you did right by inserting the next player in the lineup, but she should have not assumed the previous batter's count.

BTW, Little League Official Rules do give leagues the option to adopt this policy.

Hope this helps.

Serg
Old Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

This is what happens when you play with half a ball...LL softball AND LL baseball.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
This is what happens when you play with half a ball...LL softball AND LL baseball.
Please explain.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of M Sam
Please explain.
I would be happy to explain. But I am too stupid to know what I know. sorry to have responded.

Last edited by bkbjones; Mon Apr 30, 2007 at 03:06am.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I felt this way even before their insidious rule a couple years ago that, in a nutshell, says if you are rostered on an ASA team (or NSA, AFA, PONY or whatever else) you can't participate in LL championship play. What a bunch of horse hockey. It is supposed to be about the kids...what a joke. What a sick, sick joke.

More after supper. I'm starved.
I have never heard this one before, is this a national thing or just local.
I know for a fact that in our local LL, for which I volunteered as long as I could, there have been and are players who play ASA, NSA, ISA and other codes.

Could you enlighten me on where this came from?
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
I have never heard this one before, is this a national thing or just local.
I know for a fact that in our local LL, for which I volunteered as long as I could, there have been and are players who play ASA, NSA, ISA and other codes.

Could you enlighten me on where this came from?
That's got to be a local thing. A local team won the LL world series for high school aged players (I have no idea what the name of that age group is in LL terms). The same team played in several ASA tournaments during their LL season.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
That's got to be a local thing. A local team won the LL world series for high school aged players (I have no idea what the name of that age group is in LL terms). The same team played in several ASA tournaments during their LL season.
They can't play in non-LL games once they start LL tournament play until they are eliminated from the tournament. It is a national rule. It does not apply to the regular season. So I've been told. I'm about as far from an expert in LL code as there is.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
They can't play in non-LL games once they start LL tournament play until they are eliminated from the tournament. It is a national rule. It does not apply to the regular season. So I've been told. I'm about as far from an expert in LL code as there is.
According to the 2007 Rule Book that's not totally accurate. It's accurate up to major level. They cannot play in non-LL games as your described (mostly). Junior, Senior and Big Leagues CAN participate providing the coach doesn't get pi$$ed about a player missing practices or games. I'm not an expert either but am fairly well-versed . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
According to the 2007 Rule Book that's not totally accurate. ....
Imagine my shock at this!
Old Sat Apr 28, 2007, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Imagine my shock at this!
You are?

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2007, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

(Sorry for my diatribe earlier. Obviously I was wrong, and LL softball is just as obviously the best thing since Twinkies were invented. I apologize for offending several of you with my post, and all of you with my opinion.)

Last edited by bkbjones; Mon Apr 30, 2007 at 03:05am.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Sorry for my diatribe earlier. Obviously I was wrong, and LL softball is just as obviously the best thing since Twinkies were invented. I apologize for offending several of you with my post, and all of you with my opinion.)
Did I miss something? I went back and didn't see anyone saying they were offended by anything.

Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
Did I miss something? I went back and didn't see anyone saying they were offended by anything.
Larry,
I had a few e-mails that took me to task for demeaning LL...and telling me just how valueless my opinion is on any subject. So...again I apologize for sharing my opinion and for saying anything bad about LL, which is the greatest thing since the development of Newton's Laws.