View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
It was suggested we might need a separate topic for this, so here goes.

I believe it is very appropriate to communicate vocally with your partner - but not if the ball is on the ground.

If you yell "Ball's on the ground" while your partner is giving the big sell overhand out, you've got PROBLEMS. If you have a situation like this, IMHO it is much better to NOT say anything, let your partner make his call, and if it needs fixing, go about it the proper way.

Just flashed how this could be even worse. Grounder to third, throw is offline on the HP side of 1B. 1B makes big stretch, almost gets it, ball trickles out. You want to help your partner, so you holler "Ball's out."

Then 1B somehow regains possession before the B/R attains 1B. Your partner can't see the 1B regain possession, but he has heard you say "Ball's out." He gives the big sell safe.

After the huge argument, you have to fix the call, and now b/r is out. Now you have an even bigger argument. That's TWO calls you have to eat, AND you have no credibility in the eyes of either of those coaches -- and your partner's debriefing after the game will sound much like the dialogue of Joe Schultz in Ball Four.
That's not a communication issue, but rather an issue of trying to make/force a call much too early! There's a very important reason why we are supposed to show/have a pronounced pause between the occurrence of the play and the call of the play.

Do the words "voluntary release" come to the mind of anyone other than me in this instance?

I made up some simple rhymes when I was a rookie, and I teach them to any new member that comes along.

"If the ball's on the ground, keep your hands and voice down".

Stuff like that.