The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
So, the ASA manual does have one sentence that okay's a left-handed out call in limited situations.

Guess I missed that. Might not have missed it if not for the fact that this line appears 32 pages past the section on "Communication and Signals" where a description of all the approved signals appears- including the "sell out" where it says to use the right hand.

An odd quirk, that.

Still can't find any written description of using the left hand to signal strikes...
We (in the Seattle Metro area) have at least one lefty who almost always signals strikes and outs with the sinister hand. But he works at Krispy Kreme, so he can use any hand he wants.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Well for the record, I write left handed. All my signals are "properly" done with the right hand. I guess since I technically meet the criteria (although I play baseball/softball right handed and am very ambidextrous) - I could run around picking any ole arm with which to call a strike/out etc.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Well for the record, I write left handed. All my signals are "properly" done with the right hand. I guess since I technically meet the criteria (although I play baseball/softball right handed and am very ambidextrous) - I could run around picking any ole arm with which to call a strike/out etc.
I'm happy you can do that. I am SO right-handed I can't even pick my *body part* with my left hand. If I had to do it left handed I'd have to be a baseball umpire.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
I'm happy you can do that. I am SO right-handed I can't even pick my *body part* with my left hand.
Isn't that what the string if for?
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's interesting (to me, if to no one else).

I also write left-handed. I play baseball / softball left-handed.

I play tennis right-handed (even the "throwing motion" of the serve). I bowl right-handed.

I am not ambidextrous for those sports or for wiriting - I am completely hopeless trying to bat right-handed or field right-handed, and completely hopeless trying to bowl or play tennis left-handed.

The only coorolation I was ever able to come up with is I learned my "left-handed skills" before about age 12 and my "right-handed skills" after.

I umpire right-handed.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones
We (in the Seattle Metro area) have at least one lefty who almost always signals strikes and outs with the sinister hand. But he works at Krispy Kreme, so he can use any hand he wants.
Old Fri Apr 06, 2007, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
That's interesting (to me, if to no one else).

I also write left-handed. I play baseball / softball left-handed.

I play tennis right-handed (even the "throwing motion" of the serve). I bowl right-handed.

I am not ambidextrous for those sports or for wiriting - I am completely hopeless trying to bat right-handed or field right-handed, and completely hopeless trying to bowl or play tennis left-handed.

The only coorolation I was ever able to come up with is I learned my "left-handed skills" before about age 12 and my "right-handed skills" after.

I umpire right-handed.
WHen I was in my first year of LL I was of course playing left handed, because I was lefthanded.. I sucked so badly. My dad had me try to throw and catch right handed and I suddenly could play. It was like a miracle immediate difference.

I can throw decently and catch decently now lefty.. I do it only as novelty when goofing around - When I play, I play righty. I bat better righty but can switch.

I shoot pool and firearms lefty, but I'm left eye dominate. I can shoot pistol either way.

I cannot write right handed.

I dont believe I could do strike/out lefty but I've never tried.
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Here I got one that JimPiano can jump on that we use and thats not in the book.. and the book is lame on this one. (note: I think its a very different situation to have umpire to umpire signals agreed to pregame as opposed to using invented signals to call your game to the crowd).

The book wants you yelling across the field asking for the count if you lose it.

Lame.

We tap the top of our hat, our partner knows we want the count which is sent back by signal. There is no need to verbalize that.

I do pretty good count wise as PU, sometimes as BU I will miss the call of the pitch because something happened (say a steal).

Do you guys yell "Hey I'm stupid and lost the count" or do you use the hat/other signal to get the count?

Well hell, you guys probably never lose the count
Old Sat Apr 07, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here I got one that JimPiano can jump on that we use and thats not in the book.. and the book is lame on this one. (note: I think its a very different situation to have umpire to umpire signals agreed to pregame as opposed to using invented signals to call your game to the crowd).

The book wants you yelling across the field asking for the count if you lose it.

Lame.

We tap the top of our hat, our partner knows we want the count which is sent back by signal. There is no need to verbalize that.

I do pretty good count wise as PU, sometimes as BU I will miss the call of the pitch because something happened (say a steal).

Do you guys yell "Hey I'm stupid and lost the count" or do you use the hat/other signal to get the count?

Well hell, you guys probably never lose the count

LOL if it weren't for the indicator I would be absolutely freakin lost. I really admire all of you who can keep up with the count without an indicator. I've been involved in this avocation since I was 14 (that would be 1970 for those of you keeping score at home) and always carry two indicators with me - if one is lost, broken, stolen or disabled, I have a backup, and if my partner forgets his/her indicator, I have one ready for them. I could more easily go without a chest protector, cup, shin guards or mask than without an indicator.

We (Seattle/Tacoma area, where it was 77 degrees yesterday, April 6, for our first and likely only day of spring) use the hands on the front of the shirt/wiggling the fingers signal to ask for the count, although I am extremely bilingual and have seen/used the top of the hat to ask for the same.

I'll be damned if I will yell across the field asking for the count and let people believe I am an even bigger fool than what they already think/know.

Last edited by bkbjones; Sat Apr 07, 2007 at 09:35am.