The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wearing glasses

Was having some vision problems last year, but was able to survive the season without my glasses. Now, my distance vision is a bit worse and umpiring without glasses is not an option.

Eye doctor said that contacts are really not an option because I wouldn't be able to see close up with contacts (couldn't read lineup card).

How many of you out there wear glasses? How do you do PU with glasses? Season will be starting soon, so I need to make some decisions.

I don't think I'll have a problem with 12U, 14U instructional leagues because they are happy when an umpire shows up. Tournaments might be a problem though.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Dave,

Without my glasses I couldn't read the numbers on players' jerseys from 10 feet away. I must wear vision correction or not umpire at all. I wear Rec Specs. They look like safety goggles, but with vision correction. Every where I go they always generate comments, always positive. Most want to know what they are and where to get them. Mine last about two seasons before I need to replace the silicon pads or my vision has changed again. The real advantage is behind the plate there is no chance of the goggles coming off when I take off my mask, and there is no lines from the frames. One disadvantage is they can fog up in the early spring and late fall when it is so humid around here. I would recommend Rec Specs with my highest possible rating. One other big advantage is cost. While my normal glasses cost about $300 Rec specs only cost about $100. One last disadvantage, since I am the only one aroung here that wears goggles, the other umpires and the players all call me Goggles Bob.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
One last disadvantage, since I am the only one aroung here that wears goggles, the other umpires and the players all call me Goggles Bob.
Up until this sentance, I was coming to the conclusion that "BuggBob" was a contraction for "Bug Eyes Bob".
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

I wear glasses, and know many umpires who wear glasses. I am not sure what your problem is regarding the wearing of them while you umpire. I work the plate with glasses just like I do anything else with glasses. I don't know what age limits have to do with wearing glasses either. I do NCAA DII all the way down to 14U ASA/USSSA.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

You could wear these:

under one of these:

and be know as Darth Blue.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

You should have no problems wearing regular glasses while working the plate
With regards to them fogging up, rub in a little bit of shampoo on the lenses and then wipe off. No more problems.
Paul
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have wore glasses most of my life and I have never had any trouble. I wear a sports band on my glasses just in case the glasses get caught when taking off my mask.
There are some sweaty nights where I have to clean my glasses in between innings.
If I really want ot tick off a team, I'll wait until right after a close play to do it.
I haven't tried shampoo, but I've used shaving cream and just a little bit helps the glasses from fogging up.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Last season was the first year I wore glasses full time. Not one comment was made to me at any level by anyone whether locally, regionally or nationally, on the field or off.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting thread as I wear a pair of glasses to read and
a pair for driving that are also bi-focals. However--so far I have not
needed glasses to umpire !
When I am at the plate-- I simply count the batting order and
subs-- then I fold the paper over and write the team name in
my own code short hand. As any subs are mentioned- I write
it on the blank side of the paper large enough that I can read it.
If there is a problem with the batting order I can still sort it out.
My Honig's card has places for "trips" and courtesy runners that
do not require magnification.
If my eyesight gets worse--I'll probably have to wear glasses.
PS-- I do not wear any sunglasses. The "old school" in me says that is a no-no--although I work with a lot of umpires who wear them.
Old Tue Apr 03, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
However--so far I have not
needed glasses to umpire!
Well, that's not what some of us have heard. (just kidding)

And, yes, BuggBob is called Goggles Bob by many of us We're trying to encourage him to get a new pair every year (just kidding again - Bob has a lot of time to post because of ALL THE FRIGGING RAIN UP HERE!!!).

I have worn glasses almost all of my life. I umpired my first game when I was 14...earned all my beer money in college from umpiring...and went through baseball to a fairly high level in what we shall call a previous lifetime.

I've worn glasses forever and as far as I know the glasses have never been considered any sort of encumbrance to working any level of ball.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

I wear contacts all the time, couldn't read the catchers number without them....well maybe the big one on her back....but anyway. I have worn my glasses at times with very little issues, other than the 'I didn't know you wore glasses' comments! I do however almost always wear sunglasses. I started doing it a few years ago and fell in love with it. Allows me to concentrate on the ball more IMO, they are the amber lenses so they are not too dark just cut down the glare and allow me to see that yellow ball even better! One other thing I notice is it keeps the dirt out of my eyes. I seem to notice a lot of dirt bouncing off the catchers glove when there is decent speed on the pitcher and the ground material is just the right mix of moisture and I don't have my glasses on! Of course I take them off anytime I am addressing a coach or player to allow eye contact when communicating.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy
I do not wear any sunglasses. The "old school" in me says that is a no-no--although I work with a lot of umpires who wear them.
I am the same way.

Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave
Was having some vision problems last year, but was able to survive the season without my glasses. Now, my distance vision is a bit worse and umpiring without glasses is not an option.

Eye doctor said that contacts are really not an option because I wouldn't be able to see close up with contacts (couldn't read lineup card).

How many of you out there wear glasses? How do you do PU with glasses? Season will be starting soon, so I need to make some decisions.

I don't think I'll have a problem with 12U, 14U instructional leagues because they are happy when an umpire shows up. Tournaments might be a problem though.
I am still wondering how wearing glasses will be a problem.

Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
I am still wondering how wearing glasses will be a problem.
It appears the problem is in my head not on the field. I thought there would be a problem with the mask, ribbing by coaches/fans, etc. So I'll get my new prescription and call em like I see em which will be better than I saw them last year.

Thanks for everyone's inputs.
Old Wed Apr 04, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Dave, if you have to break down and get glasses, spend the extra few bucks and get the transition lenses. They turn into sun glasses during the day and will lighten up as the sun goes away. I have been wearing them for 6+ years and they work great.