The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

advice/info on getting started as an ump

hi:

i'm interested in becoming a softball umpire. i did it as a teenager years ago (slow pitch), and since my playing days appear to be dwindling, i'd like to stay connected to the sport, and stay active during summers. (i teach middle school students and coach middle school basketball and will be taking the NFHS basketball test to become a PIAA hoops official in june. i also have the NFHS softball rule book, and may take the test for a PIAA fast pitch credential at a later testing date).

i'm located in western PA just outside of pittsburgh. i've visited the ASA, ISA, and NFHS pages and seen the ASA 2007 test on the site. however, i'm not clear on a couple of things...

(1) it looks as though an individual can get credentialed for fast pitch and slow pitch with just the single ASA test -- does it make sense to try for both, or to just focus on one style as a beginner?

(2) the ASA site is unclear on how to get the test processed and affiliate with an umpiring group -- any advice on this would be very helpful. also, would the "local" umpiring organization be the information source for clinics/seminars?

(3) does it make sense to focus toward an age group? as a teacher, i'd probably lean toward working with youth, but i'm not averse to working adult games/leagues

advice on the above and anything you might want to add from your own experiences is welcomed in a response to this thread, via private message, or through email at [email protected]...

thanks in advance...

jd
Old Sat Mar 10, 2007, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

JD,
Where in western Pa are you? I have several contacts for either ASA or PIAA ball that would be more than happy to answer any of your questions.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

advice/info on getting started as an ump

Steve:

Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM -- please check your messages when you have a chance...

Lou S:

I tried to reply to your alternate "yahoo" address, but I got an email failure. I was just replying to thank you for the advice -- so... thanks!

regards,

jd
Old Mon Mar 12, 2007, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

JD,
Got it - and responded.