The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to locodad
Cool

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am interested in becoming an umpire. I am hoping that I can tap some of your experience. In your opinions, what is the best way to get started? Would you recommend starting out at the LL level to get my feet wet and then look to move up to Jr High and High school and Jr Colleges?

Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on what is available in your area, the quality of the organizations, etc. However, I would recommend starting with Fed, where you can do middle school and JV to start, and then get some varsity games as you improve. The Fed training and preparation is usually good, too. I've never (officially) umpired LL, so I can't be much help there. I suspect LL is harder to ump than upper levels, though.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

getting started

Greymule, by Fed can I assume you mean the local Federation? I live in So Cal so I guess that would be CIF (california interscholastic federation)

Locodad
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

FED

FED is the National Federation of High Schools

Contact a local high school athletic director or baseball coach. They will have local contact information for the umpire association that services their games.

And hurry. We need you.

[Edited by GarthB on Mar 5th, 2003 at 03:27 PM]
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

thanks

Thanks Garth, I will give them a holler. Do most Jr High Schools use the same umpire associations as the high schools they feed?

Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Yes.
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by locodad

Hello, I am new to the forum. I am interested in becoming an umpire. I am hoping that I can tap some of your experience. In your opinions, what is the best way to get started? Would you recommend starting out at the LL level to get my feet wet and then look to move up to Jr High and High school and Jr Colleges?

The first consideration is your work schedule. Can you get out of work at around 3 PM to do HS games which start around 4 - 4:30?

Even if your work schedule doesn't allow you to do HS games I still recommend getting at least HS certified so that you can umpire in the summer where the games are more conducive to one's work schedule.

For insurance reasons, it's best to get HS certified so that you can get plenty of games in the summer. Your HS insurance does not cover you if you work with an official who isn't certified.

I recommend starting out at LL or some "other" youth organization close to your area. That's where I started and IMO the experience helps because in LL you will see all sorts of things so your rules knowledge will be tested. Also, that's the place to make mistakes and learn.

In addition, the LL Regional clinics are not that expensive to attend. I think the cost is roughly $150 - $175 for 5 days of training. Some LL organizations pick up some of the cost.

The next thing is your personal goals and how they fit in with the family goals. Umpiring is a COMMITTMENT and there are many hours involved. For example; if you get assigned a Double Dip for the most part that day is shot as far as doing anything else.

Welcome to the club and good luck!

Pete Booth

Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Post LL Regional Umpires Camp

For the Western Region is $200/week. Covers room and board as well as training. There are some weekend clinics available in our area and they run about $95-100/clinic. Washington State District 4 Little League puts on a rules clinic and a mechanics clinic or two that are free.

I have started with Little League and have learned a lot. Of course, I'm just a second class umpire, though. :-) (Sorry guys...couldn't resist!).