The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Background check irony......

The Mrs. runs a child day care business from our home. She had to have a criminal background check, as well as myself because I live here. I can understand that, and because at times I help out with the childcare really have no problems with that. Cost was about $25.00 for her, $8.00 for me (I wasn't required to have the fingerprinting.

When the three daughters turned 18, they also had to have the background checks done which seemed a bit nitpicky. At 17 years, 364 days they were OK, but one day later, possible criminals! Cost there was about $8.00 each also.

Here is where the laws get flaky...

If there is ever a repairman in or around the house, she is required to also have a criminal background check on them! I work from home also and should have checks on my customers. If the mailman, or UPS delivers a package, there should be a check for them as well. (They could "expose themselves to the children through the window" was the state inspectors response!). Even at $8.00 a pop, that could get to be expensive.

By the way, she is not required to send these checks to any agency, just have them on file.

So anyway, that is the cost for those. Can't see why it should cost anymore than that, after all, we are trying to protect the kids, right?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
...after all, we are trying to protect the kids, right?
No, we are trying to pretend we are trying to protect the kids.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
We had not one umpire rejected from this policy.
I agree that this is bad policy, we didn't take it lying down.
We went to our elected representitives, the media and other associations.
It didn't do any good to voice our concerns.
Actually, we initiated a round table discussions with our representitives, and though we got favorable reactions the momentum was overwhelming.
Most of the different sports associations in this area had someone present and we were listened to.
One local representitive to our state house has introduced a change to the law but with no luck.
Incidentily, we had 0%, none, nada response or help from the Democrats in this area that we contacted.........hmmmm..........wonder why?
Y'all know where I stand here... but if you, as a group, refused to have BI's initiated, then all you had to do to stand up for your rights was to NOT sign off on it. What are they going to do if NO umpire is available for them because of this policy?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

What is sad is that in reality we know that a child molester
and/or kidnapper simply has to stalk a child and abduct them
at a vulnerable moment, as getting off a school bus or merely
riding their bikes to a store.
Unless Mom and Dad are able to watch their kids 24/7 or hire
personal bodyguards for them, no child is 100% safe.
These checks for sport's officials amounts to spitting in the wind;
good intentions, but with unexpected ramifications for recruiting and
retention of sport's officials.

Last edited by SWFLguy; Fri Feb 09, 2007 at 03:47pm.
Old Sun Feb 11, 2007, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Y'all know where I stand here... but if you, as a group, refused to have BI's initiated, then all you had to do to stand up for your rights was to NOT sign off on it. What are they going to do if NO umpire is available for them because of this policy?
If you don't have it done, you don't work in the whole state.
This is a state law.
Teachers have it, etc.
As a side note, their is an extensive list of who doesn't have to have it that makes no sense to me but then again, I am not a politician
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
If you don't have it done, you don't work in the whole state.
This is a state law.
Teachers have it, etc.
As a side note, their is an extensive list of who doesn't have to have it that makes no sense to me but then again, I am not a politician
Comparing any activity associated with El-Hi to private organizations is apples and oranges.

Schools are required by law to act in loco parentis during any period in which a minor is partaking in an activity associated with that institution whether in class, on a field trip or participating in a sporting or school-sponsored event.

It is not the same for private organization outside of the purview of the school. In this world it is the child's parent/guardian who is responsible for selecting the organization, officers of that organization, the coaches involved in that organization and the welfare of their child during a period in which there is an association with that organization.

Wasn't there an issue recently with LL where the media made a big deal about the past of one of the coaches and the parents of the children, aware of the situation, supported THEIR coach?

Seems to me, that is just as much an issue as anything else on this topic. At what point does an organization have in dictating to parents who may or may not be responsible for their children?