View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 12, 2007, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk_61
If you don't have it done, you don't work in the whole state.
This is a state law.
Teachers have it, etc.
As a side note, their is an extensive list of who doesn't have to have it that makes no sense to me but then again, I am not a politician
Comparing any activity associated with El-Hi to private organizations is apples and oranges.

Schools are required by law to act in loco parentis during any period in which a minor is partaking in an activity associated with that institution whether in class, on a field trip or participating in a sporting or school-sponsored event.

It is not the same for private organization outside of the purview of the school. In this world it is the child's parent/guardian who is responsible for selecting the organization, officers of that organization, the coaches involved in that organization and the welfare of their child during a period in which there is an association with that organization.

Wasn't there an issue recently with LL where the media made a big deal about the past of one of the coaches and the parents of the children, aware of the situation, supported THEIR coach?

Seems to me, that is just as much an issue as anything else on this topic. At what point does an organization have in dictating to parents who may or may not be responsible for their children?