The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper
When I asked this question last week, frankly I was surprised that no one else was "pieved" enough to already starta thread. Looks like many of us don't like the invasion, and where does the info ultimately go ?. Others are concerned about the kids. I think it stinks of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.
My 2nd question is what has Regional or National told you assigners to do with Umps that won't agree to a background investigation. Most assigners don't have enough Umps to cover all the games as it is.
We still want to know which governing body, as greymule asked.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

I think it stinks of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.

It sure does. They'd start with convicted child molesters, but how long would it be before an umpire who is discovered to be a member of the National Rifle Association, or who writes a letter to the local newspaper in support of the Second Amendment, is put on the "no-ump" list? Some airhead administrator will cite his school's "zero tolerance" policy for guns, impressionable kids, etc.

My 9-12 school in Connecticut actually had a shooting team (if anybody in 2007 America can imagine that). But strangely, no teachers, administrators, students, townspeople, or anyone else was ever shot.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

This is an ASA thing
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

We started with a discussion of whether background checks for umpires are appropriate. The fact is that today 2 out of every 10 children under 13 are molested and many of these predators are repeat offenders. Every organization which provides paid or volunteer adults for child activities has an obligation for safety. That should include facilities, equipment, and today protection against predators.

Your concerns about abuse of government power 60 years ago, or who is on a no-fly list are out of touch with technology. Here is what any individual or employer can get on the internet, without your permission or knowledge, for less than $50 and in less than 4 hours:

personal background checks - personal information search
o legal name
o public records search
o other names associated and/or linked with the subject (aka's)
o date of birth
o current and previous addresses with dates of occupancy
o current and previous phone listings
o social security number, place and date of issuance
o other social security numbers associated with subject
o other names associated with subject's social security number
o possible relatives
o other individuals who have used subject's addresses
o neighboring phone listings for subject's addresses
• criminal records search
o criminal convictions
o felony and misdemeanor convictions
o sexual offenses
o public court records search
• bankruptcies search
o chapter 7, 9, 11, 12, 13 schedule 341/trusteeship
• liens search
o federal tax lien
o state tax lien
o county tax lien
o state tax warrant
• judgments search
o small claims judgment
o civil special judgment
o deficiency judgments
o foreclosures
o forcible entry/detainer
o civil new filing
o civil dismissal
o vacated/appealed judgment
o abstract of judgment
• ucc filings search
• real property records search
o real property ownership
o parcel numbers and legal descriptions
o assessed land, improved and market values
o recent sales prices and dates
o deed transfers, including quit claims and grants
o lenders and loan amount information
• business records search
o business affiliations
• licenses search
o professional licenses
o dea controlled substances licenses
o faa pilot license, class and rating search
• vehicle & driving license records search
o drivers license search information
o other licensed drivers at subject's address
o vehicle registrations, place and date of issuance
o vehicles registered at subject's address
• watercraft registration search
• faa aircraft registration search

Every time you enter a building, use your credit card, go on the internet, use your ezpass, or make a call it’s recorded or taped. Get used to it.

Sleep well!
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
BTW, let's not let the revelations from the released files of the KGB which show that McCarthy was correct about significant infiltration of US institutions by the KGB (and its predecessors, including the MGB) get in the way of a continuation of scapegoating him as evil incarnate.
Define significant? Also, please note how many persons were falsely accused for the sake of furthering a witch hunt. Also, please note that simply being a member of a group does not mean you should be considered guilty by association which was one of the tools used to "infiltrate" these pinko, commie *******s.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
We started with a discussion of whether background checks for umpires are appropriate. The fact is that today 2 out of every 10 children under 13 are molested and many of these predators are repeat offenders. Every organization which provides paid or volunteer adults for child activities has an obligation for safety. That should include facilities, equipment, and today protection against predators.

Your concerns about abuse of government power 60 years ago, or who is on a no-fly list are out of touch with technology. Here is what any individual or employer can get on the internet, without your permission or knowledge, for less than $50 and in less than 4 hours:
Really? RICO laws are relatively recent and have been abused since effected. Again, who plays God? You? Me? The local minister.

What happens when someone finds you or any one of us had a incident with alcohol in our youth 30+ years ago and some putz thinks, "this guy has an alcohol problem, no way he gets near the complex where my child plays"?

Don't tell me it doesn't happen. As a UIC, I have been dealing with these types for a few years now and the absurdity is beyond belief.

I am absolutely tired and disgusted with people who believe they are superior in being because they have a child to protect. Yes, the same child they routinely leave with the sitter or at the day care so they life is not interrupted. BTW, check the coaches, umpires, etc, but who checks the parents? Is there a more trusted individual associated with youth players than the parents? Who checks them to make sure there is no inappropriate action in their background? For that matter, who checks the older players? How are we to know there is no inappropriate interactions between the 16U player and the 14U player?

Mike
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Really? RICO laws are relatively recent and have been abused since effected. Again, who plays God? You? Me? The local minister.

What happens when someone finds you or any one of us had a incident with alcohol in our youth 30+ years ago and some putz thinks, "this guy has an alcohol problem, no way he gets near the complex where my child plays"?

Don't tell me it doesn't happen. As a UIC, I have been dealing with these types for a few years now and the absurdity is beyond belief.

I am absolutely tired and disgusted with people who believe they are superior in being because they have a child to protect. Yes, the same child they routinely leave with the sitter or at the day care so they life is not interrupted. BTW, check the coaches, umpires, etc, but who checks the parents? Is there a more trusted individual associated with youth players than the parents? Who checks them to make sure there is no inappropriate action in their background? For that matter, who checks the older players? How are we to know there is no inappropriate interactions between the 16U player and the 14U player?

Mike
Here is the point:
This information is available today to anyone.
An Association has an obligation to provide for safety.
Being an Umpire is not anyone's right, if you don't want a background check don't join
AND yes, a parent has the right to protect their child from a known sex offender.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Define significant? Also, please note how many persons were falsely accused for the sake of furthering a witch hunt. Also, please note that simply being a member of a group does not mean you should be considered guilty by association which was one of the tools used to "infiltrate" these pinko, commie *******s.
I wasn't talking about mere membership, but KGB files listing their operatives within US government and other institutions. The mere members were sometimes referred to by the Soviets as "useful idiots."

I'm not advocating rampant infringement of our civil rights. I was only pointing out that McCarthy was correct in his assessment of the problem. His methods left a lot be be desired, but the pervasive view that all of his targets were innocent victims is just not true.

Besides, as the post a couple of replies above shows, we have more to fear from commercial databases than criminal ones as far as protection of our privacy is concerned. There is no constitutional protection for us as individuals against a business selling, printing, distributing, or otherwise making known its commercial records.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Chuck, I'm still waiting for you to answer the question in the first response by Greymule. I need to know what association you got this packet from, then if the request came from the National Office of that association. Then, I might formulate how I feel.

Since we don't know that, we obviously don't know what "Regional or National" has directed to do with those who decline. Or, at least I don't.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck chopper
This is an ASA thing
It would appear by his responses that Mike Rowe, Delaware ASA UIC doesn't know about it. As the Georgia State Player Rep, I haven't heard about it. Seems to me that we would know if that was mandated by ASA. And, just heard today that the 2007 ASA rulebooks were still at the printers, so I doubt there has been any major umpire mailings from the ASA National Office, yet.

My suspicion, at least until I know differently (National UIC Clinic on Feb 8 to Feb 11), is that this is a local or State issued form, not a National mandate. But, I will also ask my Regional UIC.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, the packet I received from the newly consolidated Maryland/DC ASA contains 2 forms dealing with background checks. One has the ASA Softball logo on the top saying that ASA may perform a criminal background check if I sign the form. It says ASA will obtain records through a third party. I'm also asked to send along a photo copy of my drivers license.

Another page says that a company called Comprehensive Information Services, Inc. will be performing this process.

I was told by those who run my organization that they do not want us to sign this form. They want to see what may become of the situation.
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Initial reply from my Regional UIC, member of the NUS.

Quote:
I remember some discussion about it but I do not remember any decisions. I will find out.
Hard for me to believe it is a mandate of the National Office with this response. The use of the ASA logo is not restricted to the National Office; the local associations are authorized users.

My opinion, it is a local issue, that needs to be addressed on a local level.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

I think it was Mike who stated we dont get involved or inter react with the kids and to a large extent he is correct .
With an injury we stand aside .
We may talk to a player one on one but this is in front of players and parents .
Off the diamond we are like Joe public and they dont need a background check to get into a ground .
Now a background check into priests , thats another story or do we trust them as they are men of god .
Statistacally there are more molestations by priests than umpires and the same goes for close family members who are more likely to molest relations .
This is Political correctness gone mad and its not just in the good old USA it occurs in New Zealand as well
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Feel good senseless measure with little to no impact equal to the hassle.

If ASA implemented I would simply do it.. i've been through a million back ground checks and I'd do one for this... no big deal. ASA does a bunch of things I dont like... but I enjoy umpiring.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I wasn't talking about mere membership, but KGB files listing their operatives within US government and other institutions. The mere members were sometimes referred to by the Soviets as "useful idiots."

I'm not advocating rampant infringement of our civil rights. I was only pointing out that McCarthy was correct in his assessment of the problem. His methods left a lot be be desired, but the pervasive view that all of his targets were innocent victims is just not true.
Tom,

You throw 100 pieces of gum against a wall, some are going to stick.

Sort of like even a blind squirrel will find an acorn every now and then. How many people lost their families, friends, jobs and lifestyles to catch a few "idiots"?

The government knows who is working for them. And many knew how to use the "idiots". Disinformation isn't just broadcast, there needs to be a believable source.

Nonetheless, I still don't believe this is a good move by an organization that, until the institution of this knee-jerk reaction, had no culpability in this discussion.