View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
I wasn't talking about mere membership, but KGB files listing their operatives within US government and other institutions. The mere members were sometimes referred to by the Soviets as "useful idiots."

I'm not advocating rampant infringement of our civil rights. I was only pointing out that McCarthy was correct in his assessment of the problem. His methods left a lot be be desired, but the pervasive view that all of his targets were innocent victims is just not true.
Tom,

You throw 100 pieces of gum against a wall, some are going to stick.

Sort of like even a blind squirrel will find an acorn every now and then. How many people lost their families, friends, jobs and lifestyles to catch a few "idiots"?

The government knows who is working for them. And many knew how to use the "idiots". Disinformation isn't just broadcast, there needs to be a believable source.

Nonetheless, I still don't believe this is a good move by an organization that, until the institution of this knee-jerk reaction, had no culpability in this discussion.