View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 22, 2007, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsig
We started with a discussion of whether background checks for umpires are appropriate. The fact is that today 2 out of every 10 children under 13 are molested and many of these predators are repeat offenders. Every organization which provides paid or volunteer adults for child activities has an obligation for safety. That should include facilities, equipment, and today protection against predators.

Your concerns about abuse of government power 60 years ago, or who is on a no-fly list are out of touch with technology. Here is what any individual or employer can get on the internet, without your permission or knowledge, for less than $50 and in less than 4 hours:
Really? RICO laws are relatively recent and have been abused since effected. Again, who plays God? You? Me? The local minister.

What happens when someone finds you or any one of us had a incident with alcohol in our youth 30+ years ago and some putz thinks, "this guy has an alcohol problem, no way he gets near the complex where my child plays"?

Don't tell me it doesn't happen. As a UIC, I have been dealing with these types for a few years now and the absurdity is beyond belief.

I am absolutely tired and disgusted with people who believe they are superior in being because they have a child to protect. Yes, the same child they routinely leave with the sitter or at the day care so they life is not interrupted. BTW, check the coaches, umpires, etc, but who checks the parents? Is there a more trusted individual associated with youth players than the parents? Who checks them to make sure there is no inappropriate action in their background? For that matter, who checks the older players? How are we to know there is no inappropriate interactions between the 16U player and the 14U player?

Mike