damn politics !!!

its REALLY hurting ASA in the DFW area ...... I mean severely

I love ASA..I just wish they would pay attention to Slow pitch softball
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
I love ASA..I just wish they would pay attention to Slow pitch softball
"They" do. There isn't a meeting gone by where everyone has not been reminded that slowpitch pays the bills.

If anything, the reason many SP rules aren't arbitrarily changed is because so many believe it is necessary to keep the traditional game intact. The "inning ending" homerun for D this year was about as drastic a change in the game you will see from the ASA crowd. And we all know, if the teams played it straight up and were not trophy-hunters, this would not have been necessary.

Personally, I like the game the way it is. I believe the bases should be backed off a little bit, and the bats dummied down, but other than that, it's fine by me.

JMHO,
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I think the 1-1 count should be adopted; other than that, I think the game is fine, the ASA National Office position is fine; where there is a general lack of attention is at the local association level, in many cases.

Counter to moving the bases and dummying the bats, I personally believe the easier solution is to further deaden the ball. That would have the same general effect, without the headache and heartache of new bat standards.
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
I think the 1-1 count should be adopted; other than that, I think the game is fine, the ASA National Office position is fine; where there is a general lack of attention is at the local association level, in many cases.

Counter to moving the bases and dummying the bats, I personally believe the easier solution is to further deaden the ball. That would have the same general effect, without the headache and heartache of new bat standards.
There was supposed to have been a meeting with the Equipment Certification committee in Colorado Springs which was to include a pitch to go to a cork core ball which, according to my contact, would not fly off the bat like those with a poly core.
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
"They" do. There isn't a meeting gone by where everyone has not been reminded that slowpitch pays the bills.

If anything, the reason many SP rules aren't arbitrarily changed is because so many believe it is necessary to keep the traditional game intact. The "inning ending" homerun for D this year was about as drastic a change in the game you will see from the ASA crowd. And we all know, if the teams played it straight up and were not trophy-hunters, this would not have been necessary.

Personally, I like the game the way it is. I believe the bases should be backed off a little bit, and the bats dummied down, but other than that, it's fine by me.

JMHO,

What I'm looking for is something to help (force?) the local and state associations to be more proactive in the development of thier programs... other organizations are KILLING us on a local and national level...if they fail to realize it, and change the way they market the game,"the national governing body of softball" will be even MORE hollow that it is now....
Old Mon Dec 25, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg
What I'm looking for is something to help (force?) the local and state associations to be more proactive in the development of thier programs... other organizations are KILLING us on a local and national level...if they fail to realize it, and change the way they market the game,"the national governing body of softball" will be even MORE hollow that it is now....
Darrell,

Short of offering serious prize money, there isn't much else that can be done in today's SP environment.

We have the same problem in my area. The teams complain about a shortage of non-championship play tournaments, but when we schedule them, the same teams that complain always find an excuse for not playing.
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting news......

So, Darrell, are you going to apply for the state commissioners job?????
Old Thu Dec 28, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Interesting news......

So, Darrell, are you going to apply for the state commissioners job?????

Ummmm HELL no...... I'm an umpire...why would I cross over to the side of evil?