The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Batter carries her bat to first base ...

... after a walk, or after a D3K, or anytime for that matter. Is it legal? I don't have my ASA or NFHS book to look it up.

There is nothing about it in the USSSA book - so legal, I assume. But logic say it could/should/might be interference too.

Thanks .... lets talk about it!
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

With the exception of USSSA SP, there is no rule preventing this, unless of course they use the bat to acutally interfere with a defensive player. To read more about USSSA SP, click here:Usssa

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

my ASA UIC just confirmed, its legal as long as no INT
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Scott, thanks, I needed something for the bottom of my to do list
"To read more about USSSA SP".
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

NSA
7-11-g
Any batter-runner who carries the bat during a live ball and legally reaches or touches 1st base while still holding the bat, will be declared out. Should this be the 3rd out of the inning, no preceding runner shall score.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
NSA
7-11-g
Any batter-runner who carries the bat during a live ball and legally reaches or touches 1st base while still holding the bat, will be declared out. Should this be the 3rd out of the inning, no preceding runner shall score.
Is that FP, SP or both? Is it an oxymoron to say "legally reaches or touches 1st base while still holding the bat"; if that is illegal?
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Is that FP, SP or both? Is it an oxymoron to say "legally reaches or touches 1st base while still holding the bat"; if that is illegal?
It only applies to FP and Modified

Your Oxy Moron (a dullard with acne) question does bring up something to think about.
If you strike out and run to first carrying the bat, since you did not reach 1B legally you must be safe.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that FP, SP or both?
Doesn't make any difference, stupid is as stupid does.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2006, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Entirely beneath your status in this forum, or umpiring for that matter.
What, stating that a rule forbiding a runner to touch the base is stupid? Well, I believe it is and do not see a problem with making such a statement.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
What, stating that a rule forbiding a runner to touch the base is stupid? Well, I believe it is and do not see a problem with making such a statement.
It read like you were calling NSA stupid. I deleted my earlier post.

Last edited by CecilOne; Mon Nov 20, 2006 at 10:43am.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It read like you were calling NSA stupid.
I thought he was calling the batter that carried the bat to first stupid but his reply makes it clear that the rule is what he feels is stupid. But, rules will not prevent people from doing things. There are rules against obstruction but players still obstruct and there are rules against USC but people still act the fool. What surprises me is that he usually wants to do anything that would prevent any possibility of a lawsuit. In this case, he seems to invite it. As strongly as he lobbies for ASA rules, changes, and modifications, I am sure that he finds some rules in that book stupid as well and he would probably list them if we were to ask him. I have alway appreciated his forthrightness and experience on this forum and will continue to read his posts with interest (even when I disagree). I especialy enjoy it when he poses a situation that places a conundrum in the minds of the umpires. But when someone gets 5000 posts s/he has earned the right to go beyond the situation on the field and to interject personal opinion whether it is complementary or unkind. We can all be grateful for his skills as an umpire and his ability to continually elicit replies on this forum. We would be wrong condemn his posts or to flame him because of his opinion. He is a very experienced umpire with much to say and much to teach. I know that he realizes how privileged he is on this forum and how much weight his posts carry. That is something that cannot be taken lightly. Even the b@$eb@ll guys come over to read his posts and that is saying something. We must always remember that we will never be perfect on the field though we will strive for that every game. Most of us will never reach his level of expertise though we would strive for that. Most of us will seek to be kind and respectful of others both on and off the field. Umpires are as umpires do.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblue13
I thought he was calling the batter that carried the bat to first stupid but his reply makes it clear that the rule is what he feels is stupid. But, rules will not prevent people from doing things. There are rules against obstruction but players still obstruct and there are rules against USC but people still act the fool. What surprises me is that he usually wants to do anything that would prevent any possibility of a lawsuit. In this case, he seems to invite it. As strongly as he lobbies for ASA rules, changes, and modifications, I am sure that he finds some rules in that book stupid as well and he would probably list them if we were to ask him. I have alway appreciated his forthrightness and experience on this forum and will continue to read his posts with interest (even when I disagree). I especialy enjoy it when he poses a situation that places a conundrum in the minds of the umpires. But when someone gets 5000 posts s/he has earned the right to go beyond the situation on the field and to interject personal opinion whether it is complementary or unkind. We can all be grateful for his skills as an umpire and his ability to continually elicit replies on this forum. We would be wrong condemn his posts or to flame him because of his opinion. He is a very experienced umpire with much to say and much to teach. I know that he realizes how privileged he is on this forum and how much weight his posts carry. That is something that cannot be taken lightly. Even the b@$eb@ll guys come over to read his posts and that is saying something. We must always remember that we will never be perfect on the field though we will strive for that every game. Most of us will never reach his level of expertise though we would strive for that. Most of us will seek to be kind and respectful of others both on and off the field. Umpires are as umpires do.

ya still got a little on your nose ya might want to wipe off...

Oh and cecil.. that was stupid. If was obvious he was talking about the rule.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
ya still got a little on your nose ya might want to wipe off...

Oh and cecil.. that was stupid. If was obvious he was talking about the rule.
A rule can't "do" (wrt "stupid does").

Mike, sorry if I offended with my misunderstanding and oversensitivity about forum civility.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

NSA Rule

It is an older rule in the NSA rulebook and was modified about three or four years ago to include "live ball" after a girl took the bat with her around the bases at the WS after hitting a home run. She was correctly ruled out by the umpire at the time and caused a huge uproar concerning the rule. Instead of getting completely rid of the rule, they simply changed it. Shrug.

Blu
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A rule can't "do" (wrt "stupid does").

Mike, sorry if I offended with my misunderstanding and oversensitivity about forum civility.
HMMM.. I had not considered that.

Maybe he was calling NSA stupid.