The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Why would an umpire care what the score is?
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by canump
Simple logic. If the BR missed 1st base with two out then no runs score period.
If the BR missed 2nd or 3rd or home plate, it then becomes a timing play and if the winning run had already crossed the plate then game over.
I was just curious to see if Canada was different that we were in the US - since they are about scoring the homer.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I wanted to say that the first day this post started but did not want to be the one to be the smarta$$. But thanks Mike!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Because in most of the plebeian tournaments we humble umpires work, we are required to turn in a score card signed by the umpires!
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Because in most of the plebeian tournaments we humble umpires work, we are required to turn in a score card signed by the umpires!
I know what you mean, Tom, even with the wink; but excuse me for a serious reply.
I and many believe, knowing the score and other game situations can affect the perception, and sub-consciously judgement. I pay no attention to the score, often not to the inning; just to avoid any implication that my calls are affected by "getting it over with", letting a call slide or other negatives.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm impressed with the use of the word "plebeian"!

Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
8-5 in all rulesets.

Here's your out though. Even though a game is over when the winning run scores, you MUST let the individual play complete. You don't know, at the moment the apparent 6th run scores, that said runner did not miss a base elsewhere, seen by another umpire and not you, which will end up getting appealled. You don't stop motion on a play like this win the apparent winning run scores. After all 3 score and it is apparent there will be no appeal, the game is then over. At that point, 8 runs will have crossed the plate... thus 8-5.
So....8 runs American equel 6 runs Canadian...sounds about right.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I would also note that it is not the rulebook in American softball and baseball that gives us the interp that the score in this sitch is 8-5 ... but rather professional interpretations.
The ASA rulebook, for one, gives explicit directions in this case. The problem is that it is in a place most umpires ignore.

The question for the OP is whether the Canadian rules have a counterpart to ASA Rule 11.4.G: "When the batter ends a game with a home run hit out of the playing field, any runners on base are entitled to score."
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson
The baseball rule book does a much better job of clarifying the walkoff home run than the softball rulebook. (It says the game ends on a walkoff homer when the batter-runner touches home plate.)
Not to be nitpicky... but I don't see that phrase in either of my books.
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

Since the game was in Canada, that makes the final score:

eh-eight to five-eh...
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

A rule book approved by Major League Baseball says this about walkoff home runs.

Rule 4.11 (c): "If the home team scores the winning run in its half of the ninth inning (or its half of an extra innng after a tie), the game ends immediately when the winning run is scored. EXCEPTION: If the last batter in the game hits a home run out of the playing field, the batter-runner and all runners on base are permitted to score, in accordance with the base-running rules, and the game ends when the batter-runner touches home plate."

Why can't softball rules be as crystal clear as this?
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robertson
A rule book approved by Major League Baseball says this about walkoff home runs.

Rule 4.11 (c): "If the home team scores the winning run in its half of the ninth inning (or its half of an extra innng after a tie), the game ends immediately when the winning run is scored. EXCEPTION: If the last batter in the game hits a home run out of the playing field, the batter-runner and all runners on base are permitted to score, in accordance with the base-running rules, and the game ends when the batter-runner touches home plate."

Why can't softball rules be as crystal clear as this?
Who says it isn't? A home run is a home run. It entitles all runners, including the batter runner to score without liability to be put out save a valid, properly presented appeal. It doesn't make any difference if it's the first play of the game or the last, the same rules apply.

I think you are looking for something that has no need to exist.

BTW, softball board. MLB has no standing here.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But even in this instance I would defer to the official scorekeeper. When anyone ever asks me the score I tell them how many balls, strikes and outs I have and say that is all I keep up with and If you have any question about scoring issues then your scorekeeper needs to go work it out with the official book. That seems to work best for me.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I realize this is a softball message board, but mcrowder said he couldn't find any reference to how a walkoff homer is scored in a baseball rule book. I just wanted to point out that I found one.

(History lesson: Up until 1919 in MLB the home team could only win by one run if it batted in the bottom fo the ninth or in extra innings--no matter how many runs scored on a walkoff homer.)

As for deferring to the wisdom of a scorekeeper, that would be great if all scorekeepers were well-schooled experts. Usually that's not the case in the games I work. Some are quite good, but often the scorekeeper asks me, "Does that run count?" when the third out occurs on a force play. Call me pedantic, but I just like to have the answer ready when the question comes.
Old Sat Aug 26, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat
But even in this instance I would defer to the official scorekeeper. When anyone ever asks me the score I tell them how many balls, strikes and outs I have and say that is all I keep up with and If you have any question about scoring issues then your scorekeeper needs to go work it out with the official book. That seems to work best for me.
I think you misunderstand the full meaning of the word "plebeian". There is no "official" scorekeeper, only some Mom or Dad who does the duty for each team and who is making sure her/his little DD is the top hitter on the team.