The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Game over or keep playing????????? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27852-game-over-keep-playing.html)

mcrowder Mon Aug 21, 2006 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by debeau
It aint out till the Ump DECIDES its out then .
So if a runner slides into a base and is tagged , we hold our call , get the picture (ball , runner, fielder ) decide (we have an out ) then indicate .
The tag occurred 2 seconds before the time was up but the out was after .
Game over .

So wrong.

So ... Runners on first and third, 2 outs. R2 heads for second base, but holds up as the throw comes in. R2 is tagged, 1 second later, R1 scores, and 1 second after that, the BU (perhaps there was a "show me the ball!!! or somesuch) rings up R2.

Run or no run?

The out occurs WHEN IT OCCURS, not when the umpire announces it. Read your rule again.

HawkeyeCubP Mon Aug 21, 2006 05:59pm

I'm going to hope, by use of the last smiley, that he/she is kidding.

Mountaineer Mon Aug 21, 2006 06:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrowder
The out occurs WHEN IT OCCURS, not when the umpire announces it. Read your rule again.

IMO, very succinct and to the point. All the umpire is doing is calling the play that has already happend - tagging the runner out.

debeau Mon Aug 21, 2006 06:50pm

Interesting .
So if the tag is made there is an out .
Now if the Ump didnt see the tag we still have an out do we ?
We have to rule on various situations and until we rule it is nothing .

Mountaineer Mon Aug 21, 2006 08:49pm

Quote:

Interesting .
So if the tag is made there is an out .
Now if the Ump didnt see the tag we still have an out do we ?
We have to rule on various situations and until we rule it is nothing .

No, in the umpire's best judgement, there was no tag so his ruling on the play that just happened would be SAFE.

Dakota Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:36pm

You guys are getting so balled up in side issues, you've completely lost track of the original question.

On plays where the timing of the out matters, the time that matters is when the players made the out, not when the umpire called the out. Just in case it needs to be pointed out again, the players make the out on an appeal play when they make a proper appeal. And, again, just in case it needs to be pointed out again, when umpires consult with each other to get the call right, this does not affect when the players actually made the out.

Side issues about judgment, about umpiring mechanics, (e.g. not rushing the call) etc. have no bearing whatsoever on the question at hand.

And, for the most absurd argument made in this thread, there is no time being added to the clock. Most timed games must complete an inning that has started. The inning started before time expired, since the inning started with the final out of the previous inning.

But, as I said before, I don't keep game time with seconds precision. Two seconds remain = time expired as far as I am concerned.

debeau Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:57pm

You are quite right .
I was being facetious or an arsehole whatever you want me to be .
But at the end of the day
The game is OVER and so should this thread

Dakota Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:22am

Quote:

You are quite right .
I was being facetious or an arsehole whatever you want me to be .
But at the end of the day
The game is OVER and so should this thread

Sorry... I missed your humor. :o

Good luck on declaring the thread over. Cecil already tried.