The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

The Plate in ASA Class D SlowPitch?

I get a different reading depending on who I talk to. So here is my question/scenario: In a Class D ASA Slowpitch game, stealing is allowed on a pitched ball unless the ball is dead, i.e. hits the plate or lands in front of the plate. In this level is a pitched ball dead or not, when it clearly hits the "black" portion of the plate. I have some folks saying that the black portion of the plate isn't part of the plate for this rule and others telling me that the plate is the plate regardless of what color it happens to be. I just want to get it right!
thx
Eli1
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

The home plate is defined in your rules as being 17 inches wide across the edge facing the pitcher's plate with sides parallel to the inside lines of the batter's box 8 1/2 inches long and sides of the point facing the catcher which are 12 inches long. When you measure your plate, is the black portion within any of these dimensions? I suspect not, and therefore the black is not part of the home plate for purposes of any rule.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli1
I get a different reading depending on who I talk to. So here is my question/scenario: In a Class D ASA Slowpitch game, stealing is allowed on a pitched ball unless the ball is dead, i.e. hits the plate or lands in front of the plate. In this level is a pitched ball dead or not, when it clearly hits the "black" portion of the plate. I have some folks saying that the black portion of the plate isn't part of the plate for this rule and others telling me that the plate is the plate regardless of what color it happens to be. I just want to get it right!
thx
Eli1
The black, technically, is not part of home plate. It is beveled so a sliding runner will not catch his/her cleats, and possibly sustain a leg injury. Now, for reality. In baseball, fast pitch softball, and slow pitch softball, I ALWAYS called the black as being in the strike zone. If the rule states that a pitched ball is dead when it hits the plate, I've got, "STRIKE. DEAD BALL".

Bob
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Dead if it hits the plate? Is this just in class D?

I'll have to check my rule book, haven't seen this called.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
The black, technically, is not part of home plate. It is beveled so a sliding runner will not catch his/her cleats, and possibly sustain a leg injury. Now, for reality. In baseball, fast pitch softball, and slow pitch softball, I ALWAYS called the black as being in the strike zone. If the rule states that a pitched ball is dead when it hits the plate, I've got, "STRIKE. DEAD BALL".

Bob
If the black in not part of the plate why would you kill the play??? Confused!
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It is generally accepted that "the plate is the plate regardless of what color" and regardless of the book.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 02:53pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
If the rule states that a pitched ball is dead when it hits the plate, I've got, "STRIKE. DEAD BALL".

Bob
Not in ASA Class D Slow Pitch. A ball striking the plate in ASA is a ball. I've worked leagues in Iowa where the carpet/mat and plate were used as the strike zone, but not in anything that's been an ASA sanctioned event.

Last edited by HawkeyeCubP; Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 03:04pm.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thx
Eli1
I wont address the Class D part of the question but as for the plate,
The black is considered a part of the plate in ASA.
I realize the dimensions eliminate the black edge of the standard plate......but........
Many people including ASA's old UIC and Asst UIC (Merle Butler and Henry Pollard) have proven that you cannot hit the black border of the plate with a round ball and not have had some sort of touch in the white also..

This is standard teaching at any ASA National School, THE BLACK IS PART OF THE PLATE.

I dont' have a case book handy, but I am dead certain that this is or has been covered in past and present issues of that book.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
My understanding contrary to what we always find at fields is that the black portion of the plate is actually supposed to be covered by dirt so the that the white is flush with the surronding dirt. As such on a perfect field there would be no black. This would suggest to me that the black isn't part of the plate, however physics/geometry show that balls hitting the black typically hit the white as well.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
My understanding contrary to what we always find at fields is that the black portion of the plate is actually supposed to be covered by dirt so the that the white is flush with the surronding dirt. As such on a perfect field there would be no black. This would suggest to me that the black isn't part of the plate, however physics/geometry show that balls hitting the black typically hit the white as well.
I don't know who told you that the black portion is supposed to be covered, but that has never been in any rulebook that I can remember after 28 years, in either baseball or softball.

I don't have a case book that is anywhere near up to date, but I do know that if you go to any of the NUS or to a National School, they are going to teach you that the black is part fo the plate.

Who is your Regional UIC, maybe you need to contact him and hear what he has to say.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

B4 hits a hard shot up the middle
R1 breaks for home
F6 makes a great play
Rifles the ball to F2 who is pulled off the plate just a hair
R1 is sliding head first and gets a fingertip on the black part of the plate a decisecond before the tag and never touches the white part.

Safe or out??

Please comment on various rulesets.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
If the black in not part of the plate why would you kill the play??? Confused!
You're confused because you didn't read my post well. I said that I considered the 'black' as part of the plate. Therefore, if the pitch hits the 'black', "STRIKE. DEAD BALL".

Bob
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
When doing the plate in baseball, fast pitch and slow pitch softball, I always made a point of brushing off the 'black' at the start of both halves of the first inning. That showed that I'm calling it as part of the plate.

Bob
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
thx
Eli1
ASA Clinic Guide states clearly that the black beveled edge of the plate is considered part of the plate for the purpose of all rules which include a player or ball touching or crossing the plate.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You're confused because you didn't read my post well. I said that I considered the 'black' as part of the plate. Therefore, if the pitch hits the 'black', "STRIKE. DEAD BALL".

Bob
I think he's saying that any pitch that hits the plate is a BALL and a dead ball. If you call a strike, it's not a dead ball and runners can steal.