The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Mid-level ASA Men's Slowpitch league. I umpire fastpitch, so sometimes have trouble with slowpitch rules.

Last night we successfully appealled a runner who missed second base in the 1st inning. Pitcher of the other team has been a poor sport for 2 years now, and decides after that that he's going to appear EVERY SINGLE TIME a runner goes more than a base.

My first question - is there anything umpires can do to stop this sort of behavior.

My second question - does throwing the ball from the mound to a base to make an appeal count as putting the ball back in play. In one case, after I hit a double, pitcher threw to first to appeal that I'd missed (I didn't) and the throw got away. I sprinted to 3rd, and was promptly put back at second. I didn't think about it until later, but this felt wrong.

Now, the nitty-gritty... After the first 5 or 6 appeals, he stops throwing the ball to the base and simply points to the base and says appeal, and the umpire obliges him by indicating safe each time. I'm batting during one of these instances and I mumble something to blue about - "Doesn't he have to throw it to make an appeal", and am told no. Again - this felt wrong, but I didn't put up a fight because this nonsense was taking forever in a TIMED game. Unfortunately, in that very at bat, I hit a sac fly. Pitcher appeals that the runner left third early (pointing, not throwing), and blue calls my runner out.

I honestly have no idea whether he left early. The ball was deep enough that he certainly didn't have to - it was a jog home, and my coach says he didn't, but I wasn't looking at him. I strongly suspect he made this call just to shut the pitcher up.

Final questions - should umpire have called him out without an actual throw over?

How would you all A) as a player, and B) as an umpire handled this situation.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

In ASA, there are live ball appeals and dead ball appeals. Once the play is over and the ball goes back to the mound, the appeals are considered dead ball appeals. No throw is necessary or even recognized. The oral appeal ("Blue, runner from 1B missed 2B") is all that's called for, and whatever throw is made is superfluous. Runners cannot advance.

The live ball appeal occurs before there is time out and is just like a regular play. In fact, in ASA it is immediate. That is, if a runner slides past home plate and fails to touch it, a fielder with the ball can touch home and appeal immediately to the umpire even while the runner is scrambling back to touch the plate.

If I missed something, I'm sure others will correct me.

Players accustomed to appeals as they are handled in OBR will find ASA rules confusing.

In terms of the guy who decides to appeal everything, the book says that "guessing games should not be allowed." I would just say, "Safe," until he pushed it to far, and then I'd put a stop to it.
Old Fri Oct 17, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA.

Umpires are to disallow fishing expeditions so if I have a player repeatedly making bogus appeals I warn him/her that continued guesses will result in none being allowed, if it's close, fine, but no more of these appeals when you don't even look.

Dead ball appeals do not need the ball thrown, just a verbal appeal is required. On the play you were sent back, if the umpire had called time then you should have been sent back, if the play was ongoing and live then you should have advanced.

Live ball appeals must be made by a player with the ball in contact with the bag where the appeal is being made. In fast pitch the defense can request time and make the appeal or leave the ball live and throw to the bag which allows the runners to advance at their own risk. In slow pitch once the ump has called time no runners can advance until the ball is pitched again.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2003, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
Mid-level ASA Men's Slowpitch league. I umpire fastpitch, so sometimes have trouble with slowpitch rules.
Don't know why you would have trouble, they are the same in both disciplines.
Quote:

Last night we successfully appealled a runner who missed second base in the 1st inning. Pitcher of the other team has been a poor sport for 2 years now, and decides after that that he's going to appear EVERY SINGLE TIME a runner goes more than a base.

My first question - is there anything umpires can do to stop this sort of behavior.
An umpire (in ASA) is never required to accommodate and appeal. That doesn't mean they will not accept a second or third appeal on a single play, but as noted by CB, if the umpire feels they are merely guessing, or making a mockery of the game, the umpire can take whatever means to bring it to a halt.
Quote:
My second question - does throwing the ball from the mound to a base to make an appeal count as putting the ball back in play. In one case, after I hit a double, pitcher threw to first to appeal that I'd missed (I didn't) and the throw got away. I sprinted to 3rd, and was promptly put back at second. I didn't think about it until later, but this felt wrong.
That would depend on whether the umpire had killed the play prior to the pitcher throwing the ball to 1B. Since the pitcher had the ball, I would assume the play was over the time was called. You stay on 2B.
Quote:

Now, the nitty-gritty... After the first 5 or 6 appeals, he stops throwing the ball to the base and simply points to the base and says appeal, and the umpire obliges him by indicating safe each time. I'm batting during one of these instances and I mumble something to blue about - "Doesn't he have to throw it to make an appeal", and am told no. Again - this felt wrong, but I didn't put up a fight because this nonsense was taking forever in a TIMED game. Unfortunately, in that very at bat, I hit a sac fly. Pitcher appeals that the runner left third early (pointing, not throwing), and blue calls my runner out.
Sorry, call was correct, but pointing and saying just "appeal" would not work with me. When an appeal is being made, the player is going to need to tell me what s/he is appealing. That way there is no confusion on my behalf or either team's. Apparently, this umpire felt comfortable enough to understand the request.
Quote:

I honestly have no idea whether he left early. The ball was deep enough that he certainly didn't have to - it was a jog home, and my coach says he didn't, but I wasn't looking at him. I strongly suspect he made this call just to shut the pitcher up.

Final questions - should umpire have called him out without an actual throw over?

How would you all A) as a player, and B) as an umpire handled this situation. .
I think between CB, Grey and myself, these have been answered.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Wink

From Q2 "pitcher threw to first to appeal that I'd missed (I didn't) and the throw got away. I sprinted to 3rd, and was promptly put back at second". If the ball was still live and "got away" meant going into DBT, youshould have been awarded home.

Correction:
Players accustomed to appeals as they are confused in OBR will find ASA rules simple.