The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBlue
PUL EEEEZE, I guess you want a medal for wearing pants during a record high for one game... Jeeez Try three or four...
You know what, big fella, We were wearing the proper uniform for our association... BTW Merle Butler is a member as well and NO this wasn't a ASA sanctioned tournament.
You guys with your overinflated egos about uniformity... Get real...
It wasn't for one game, I worked 6 that day. It has nothing to do with overinflated egos. It is simply wearing the uniform prescribed by the association, and looking professional. My comment, if you read a little more carefully, was not addressed to you, but was a response to azbigdawg's comment. But, since you decided to address me, I simply have this to say, big fella. If you want to umpire fastpitch, then dress the part. That means wearing all the protective gear, the proper uniform...etc. If Oklahoma sanctions using shorts as a proper uniform, then so be it. (Somehow, though, I doubt that the Oklahoma High School Officials Association, ASA, or any other organization in Oklahoma sanctions shorts as part of the official uniform for softball umpires.) If you are wearing the non-uniform simply because of the heat, as I think you are, then you have two choices as I see it. Either don't umpire when it is hot, or if you choose to umpire, wear the proper uniform.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
It wasn't for one game, I worked 6 that day. It has nothing to do with overinflated egos. It is simply wearing the uniform prescribed by the association, and looking professional. My comment, if you read a little more carefully, was not addressed to you, but was a response to azbigdawg's comment. But, since you decided to address me, I simply have this to say, big fella. If you want to umpire fastpitch, then dress the part. That means wearing all the protective gear, the proper uniform...etc. If Oklahoma sanctions using shorts as a proper uniform, then so be it.
(Somehow, though, I doubt that the Oklahoma High School Officials Association, ASA, or any other organization in Oklahoma sanctions shorts as part of the official uniform for softball umpires.) If you are wearing the non-uniform simply because of the heat, as I think you are, then you have two choices as I see it. Either don't umpire when it is hot, or if you choose to umpire, wear the proper uniform.

Wrong!!! Some of the Metro Association's officers were working the tourney. And yes, shorts are a part of our association's uniform. Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Assn. is the entity that governs the state's schools and certifies their officials. Here is the link to the officers and past presidents of our OKC Metro Officials Association with their email addresses. Email one of the softball or baseball advisors, VP's or even the president. They'll verify my honesty!!!

http://www.okcofficials.com/officers.htm

Last edited by OklahomaBlue; Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 01:19pm.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I think that some of you guys who live in Yankee-country (to me ... that's north of the Red River, but I'm going to give Okie a bit of a break here) have NO IDEA what it's like to be out there for 8 hours in southern heat. Yes - I've lived in the north, and yes - I've been there when it's 100 degrees. Different animal. Last week, it was 104 as a high, but at NINE PM, it was still 97 degrees. Not to mention the humidity.

I agree that it's important to look good and professional. And I agree that these guys did not look professional (and the rare tourney where I'm wearing shorts, I look a little goofy too). (I'll also concede that the white underalls in one of the pictures above was TACKY, and not necessary - wear the shorts if it's the uniform of the day, but surely you could have found black McDavids... and nice watch!)

But when the sanctioning body for a tournament makes uniform concessions for umpires working 8-10 (or even 14 once!) hour shifts, and ALL of the umpires abide by them, sometimes "the look" has to give way a bit to the health of the crew.

Sometimes it's more important to BE professional than to LOOK professional.

Scoff if you will, but I invite ANY of you to come down and work a June tournament for me next year - I'll even give you a break every 4th game (something we don't usually have the luxury of) and see if you change your tune after 10 straight hours of 95+ temperatures and high humidity.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I don't agree with many Texans but we both know what it's like to work in the conditions you've described.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't agree with many Texans but we both know what it's like to work in the conditions you've described.

And I know that, as a Texan, it makes very little difference in comfort wearing shorts over a proper pair of pants. The latter, to me, just looks more professional.

Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
And I know that, as a Texan, it makes very little difference in comfort wearing shorts over a proper pair of pants. The latter, to me, just looks more professional.
It may make little difference to you but to me and evidently to my fellow OKC Metro Assn softball officials, it makes a bigger difference in comfort, enough so that the assn adopted shorts as an official uniform for NFHS games.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wrong!!! Some of the Metro Association's officers were working the tourney. And yes, shorts are a part of our association's uniform. Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Assn. is the entity that governs the state's schools and certifies their officials. Here is the link to the officers and past presidents of our OKC Metro Officials Association with their email addresses. Email one of the softball or baseball advisors, VP's or even the president. They'll verify my honesty!!!

http://www.okcofficials.com/officers.htm
If you had read my previous post, I stated "If Oklahoma sanctions using shorts as a proper uniform, then so be it." That is usually the end of the conversation. I never questioned your honesty nor your integrity. I did, however, state what was a doubt on my part, which you have now corrected. My original post in this thread was not even directed to you, yet you chose to single me out of a long list of posters who disagreed with your associations choice to wear shorts to work a fastpitch tournament, referred to my over-inflated ego (even though you have no clue as to what kind of ego I may have), and this certainly speaks to your character. This forum is supposed to be for the sharing of opinions and ideas, and not for personal attacks on those who have different ideas from those to which you hold. Other posters in this thread chose to use terms that I felt were insulting, yet you left them alone. I merely stated my opinion. Is there a reason you keep seeking me out?

I stand by my original statement that pants look far more professional that shorts. I am now done with this.

Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

I think I can vouch for Scott here as not being an egomaniac.

Scott - on the rare occasion that I get to / have to wear shorts, I must say it's been more comfortable. For one, behind the knees, and for two, not having to change every single game (I'm one of those that has plate pants and base pants, and plate pants look stupid without the guards one ... and the guards won't even fit under the basepants.)

The heat may not even be a tangible, noticeable heat decrease, but ANY decrease in body temp in those conditions is healthier.

As I said above, I'm a fan of looking good on the job, and hold myself and my uniform to a normally high standard (I'm also one of those that polishes the shoes before EVERY set of games) ... and also as I said above, I FULLY agree that we look a little silly out there - not so much the base guy (unless you throw on the stylish white underalls we saw!), but a plate guy with shorts and guards DOES look goofy. But I also acknowledge that there ARE times when a concession to the elements is not completely out of the question.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

With me it aint about ego.

I'm the LAST one to fall in line on this board and am more than willing to exist "outside of the box" than the norm on this board... which at times can be more than a little anal and nitpicky IMO.

Its about looking professional. Anyone can say anything they want about me, but I will always look and act professional on the field.

2 weeks before nationals I worked a national prep tourney in stockton that ranged between 112-114, so I know about heat.

This "yankee" was able to man up and look professional in that heat, I think I worked 10 games that weekend. I didnt hear one single of the other "yankees" wanting to look as you did and when the UIC wrote on the board that shorts could be worn, it was crossed out.

Its about looking professional.

You guys chose the easy way out and looked HORRIBLE. Umps coast to coast are working in the heat, but yall all couldnt take it. The guy working the little league world series looked sharp, the lady on the plate for national in _OKC_ looked good, but you guys, with your lack of respect for FP softball and regulations and some minimupm appearance standard chose not to keep up.

Thats all there is to it.
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
With me it aint about ego.

I'm the LAST one to fall in line on this board and am more than willing to exist "outside of the box" than the norm on this board... which at times can be more than a little anal and nitpicky IMO.

Its about looking professional. Anyone can say anything they want about me, but I will always look and act professional on the field.

2 weeks before nationals I worked a national prep tourney in stockton that ranged between 112-114, so I know about heat.

This "yankee" was able to man up and look professional in that heat, I think I worked 10 games that weekend. I didnt hear one single of the other "yankees" wanting to look as you did and when the UIC wrote on the board that shorts could be worn, it was crossed out.

Its about looking professional.

You guys chose the easy way out and looked HORRIBLE. Umps coast to coast are working in the heat, but yall all couldnt take it. The guy working the little league world series looked sharp, the lady on the plate for national in _OKC_ looked good, but you guys, with your lack of respect for FP softball and regulations and some minimupm appearance standard chose not to keep up.

Thats all there is to it.
I bet you are proud of that too!

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Long pants are not the be-all and end-all of professional appearance. We've all seen umpires with various uniform no-nos (sweat-stained caps, shirts that haven't seen a hanger all season, etc., etc.).

One of the problems with your pics is your association, while allowing shorts, did not require the remainder of the uniform that goes along with shorts (uniform appearance long socks). And, you posted pictures of umpires who compounded this with other umpiring faux pas - the exposed underwear, the sunglasses on the hat, the watch.

It is my personal opinion that shin guards worn with shorts look ridiculous, like the high school kid who shows up to call the local LL baseball game and uses the community shin guards and the chalky balloon protector out of the field box and puts on the face mask over his backwards Braves hat. You did not help that impression with the general disorder of the rest of the uniforms worn. Shorty socks and exposed underwear make the ridiculous look laughable.

Sorry if that offends you, but that is my opinion.

Last edited by Dakota; Tue Aug 15, 2006 at 04:15pm.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
the lady on the plate for national in _OKC_ looked good,
Cindy Arnold
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue
Cindy Arnold
I watched the game on ESPNWhatever. I thought she looked good...called a liberal outside corner, from the TV angles.

Anybody know who the rest of the crew was?
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
She is an excellent umpire and I was lucky to work two tournaments with her this year though we were never on the field together. Oddly, her week started with her equipment and uniform bag taking an alternate route to OKC, finally arriving Sunday afternoon.

As for the liberal outside corner, I think the camera angle destorts how wide it was. I watched most of the game from the cool press box above and thought her zone was appropriate and consistent.

I will get you the other two names later, I have to check the schedule at home. I should be able to recite them but it was a long week and an even longer trip home.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

They look ridiculous, of course.

I want to know why anyone was ASSigning people to do six games in that heat and why anyone ACCEPTED such of an ASSignment.

Joe