The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 06:51pm
(Something hilarious)

Holy Woops

Working as PU of Men's EE slow pitch city league championship game last night. Last inning, 2 outs, very good (suprisingly well-played, with suprisingly well-mannered player behavior) very close game the whole way, batting team down 2 (at least they weren't down 1), 2 strikes on the batter. Pitch coming - ball is starting fairly outside - I drop down - I can see batter is giving up on the pitch already (it's not terribly windy one way or the other) - and the last 3rd of the way to the plate it comes back over and through the strike zone on the outer half - a no doubter.

I straighten slightly up, and proceed into the hammer-into-bow-and-arrow while verbalizing my called strike three...........I haven't worked little league baseball in over a year.

My self-mortification with what I've just done instantly hits me as I turn away to calmly walk to the winning side's dugout to wait for my partner to exit the field, and my eyes behind my dark sunglasses are probably as big as half dollars.

Luckily, no one seemed to take offense. The winning pitcher immediately jumped up and down and started celebrating (as did half of his teammates) - they certainly seemed to enjoy it (as well as winning), and the batter and his team didn't indicate any hostility toward my display. They were actually very pleasant and cordial after the game and came up to shake hands with both of us, saying "nice game blue" etc. (a rare occurrence in this league). The batter is one of the more laid back, pleasant guys in the league as well - another plus for me.

Just thought I'd share. Still shaking my head about it. And giggling. Mostly shaking my head though.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
I am confused....are you mortified because you sold a close third strike that ended a championship game?? I always thought that is exactly WHEN you sell something...Case in point:

PONY 14U tournament, I am working my 4th straight..last two behind the plate. Home team is down one run...one out runner on third..I am thinking..'uh-ohhhhh'..B hits the ball to F6, who looks R1 back, then proceeds to start a CLASSIC 6-3-2 DP.. F6 gunned it to F1, who wheeled and threw perfectly to the C, who applied a perfect tag on R1 JUST in time....beautiful play, you cannot coach it any better..now...do you think I SOLD that sucker???? Talk about finishing a long day in perfect style..

Now did anyone complain? Of course not! They knew I had not been overselling stuff the whole game, so when I REALLY sold that last play, everyone KNEW I got it right!
Old Tue Aug 01, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
A couple of weekends ago, a coach tried to tell me that a triple is the most exciting play in softball. I politely disagreed with him, telling him that the most exciting play in softball is calling someone out at the plate on a banger, AND getting it right!!!

He wasn't amused.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 12:19am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
[SIZE="3"]I am confused....are you mortified because you sold a close third strike that ended a championship game?? I always thought that is exactly WHEN you sell something...
-It's because this was slow pitch - where the physical mechanic is the same as a called strike one or two.
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue
A couple of weekends ago, a coach tried to tell me that a triple is the most exciting play in softball.
I guess that means he never sends a runner for a possible inside-the-park home run
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
-It's because this was slow pitch - where the physical mechanic is the same as a called strike one or two.

shows ya how much slow pitch we have around here.....
Old Wed Aug 02, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I've caught myself starting to give the hammer on a called third in slow pitch, but have always stopped before verbalizing.

"surprisingly well mannered" ....are you implying most slow pitch teams aren't?

Called four games last weekend without a major whine. Maybe a trend is developing.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I call slow pitch only and to be honest I will always "rip a book" on a looking strike out. Well not in the 12U but if I am doing Mens or Womens leagues...