The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

rœsin again

Speaking ASA.

Is rœsin a foreign substance? Specifically, after using the rœsin bag, must the pitcher wipe off their hand?
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

This is Atlumpsteve's reply from another forum

the rule on resin, being used "to dry the hand". One dries the hand because it is wet. It is wet because the pitcher is perspiring, or it is raining. What are you doing wiping off the "dry" with something that is likely wet?

To be clear, the pitcher may not apply any foreign substance to the ball; if the pitcher puts any foreign substance (including resin) in the glove, it must be wiped off before the ball is put in the glove. Resin is included only because putting it in the glove doesn't meet the inteent of resin; to dry the hand. If any foreign substance OTHER THAN RESIN is put on the hand, it must be wiped off. That is using resin under the supervision of the umpire to dry the hand. Wiping it off doesn't dry the hand.
Thanks Steve

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, the reason I posted the question here is we have a bit broader group of ASA umpires here, and the OP over there claims to have received confirmation that ASA requires resin to be wiped off before going to the ball.

He had not responded (the last I checked) to my asking him for his source, and whether that was in writing.
Old Thu Aug 03, 2006, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
In NCAA and I think also in NF (NCAA for sure) that hand must be wiped off after applying resin by rule. They want to make sure it doesn't "deface the ball".

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

OK, if I make a few assumptions, (name / location of the UIC giving the ruling is the assumption)...

In response to an email from an umpire in FL requesting a ruling, Wayne F., the North Florida UIC, issued the ruling that the hands must be wiped after going to the resin bag.

This is not from the NUS for that region (Max Wilkes?).

Again, speaking ASA (not NCAA). Has there been an NUS ruling on this?
Old Fri Aug 04, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
OK, if I make a few assumptions, (name / location of the UIC giving the ruling is the assumption)...

In response to an email from an umpire in FL requesting a ruling, Wayne F., the North Florida UIC, issued the ruling that the hands must be wiped after going to the resin bag.

This is not from the NUS for that region (Max Wilkes?).

Again, speaking ASA (not NCAA). Has there been an NUS ruling on this?
There is a casebook ruling from the 2004 rule book that I had printed out that says, 6F.6-5 Resin is for drying the hands only. It does not say that the pitcher must wipe the hands.

It does cover apply the resin to the ball itself or to the glove.

Quote, "The pitcher places resin directly on the ball or in the glove and resin transfers to the ball and pitches it before the umpire can stop play."

Ruling Illegal Pitch. Resin is used to dry the hands only.

Now, to me it is a judgement call by the Ump as to whether F1 has so much resin on their hand that they need to wipe some of it off or not. But there is no ruling that says that F1 HAS to wipe the hand before pitching.
Old Mon Aug 07, 2006, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Just a note for all those who think that the "powder resin" rule is just window dressing.

The notes sent to me from OKC concerning the manager's meeting prior to the a national tournament instructs the UICs to address the rule which requires the use of "only" powdered resin.

As a course of preventive umpiring, I suggested to the managers that if they did have "rock" resin, they take a bat, find a hard surface and.......

The point being that this shows me ASA is serious about having only a powdered bag on the field.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Just a note for all those who think that the "powder resin" rule is just window dressing.

The notes sent to me from OKC concerning the manager's meeting prior to the a national tournament instructs the UICs to address the rule which requires the use of "only" powdered resin.

As a course of preventive umpiring, I suggested to the managers that if they did have "rock" resin, they take a bat, find a hard surface and.......

The point being that this shows me ASA is serious about having only a powdered bag on the field.
When is the Physics class scheduled?
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Well, no ASA NUS ruling on the wiping of the hands issue has been posted...

Without a definitive ruling, I will continue to interpret the statement that the pitcher has permission to use resin, placed within the foreign substance rule, to mean that resin is an exception to the rule. Hence, no need to wipe the hands.

That is, the interpretation I will use is the rule says no foreign substance may be applied to the ball, except that resin may be used to dry the hands.
Old Tue Aug 08, 2006, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
...I suggested to the managers that if they did have "rock" resin, they take a bat, find a hard surface and...
Hopefully not one of their $300 thin-walled pressurized or composite bats!