The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   rœsin again (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/27659-roesin-again.html)

Dakota Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:35am

rœsin again

Speaking ASA.

Is rœsin a foreign substance? Specifically, after using the rœsin bag, must the pitcher wipe off their :rolleyes: hand?

tcblue13 Thu Aug 03, 2006 01:48pm

This is Atlumpsteve's reply from another forum

the rule on resin, being used "to dry the hand". One dries the hand because it is wet. It is wet because the pitcher is perspiring, or it is raining. What are you doing wiping off the "dry" with something that is likely wet?

To be clear, the pitcher may not apply any foreign substance to the ball; if the pitcher puts any foreign substance (including resin) in the glove, it must be wiped off before the ball is put in the glove. Resin is included only because putting it in the glove doesn't meet the inteent of resin; to dry the hand. If any foreign substance OTHER THAN RESIN is put on the hand, it must be wiped off. That is using resin under the supervision of the umpire to dry the hand. Wiping it off doesn't dry the hand.
Thanks Steve

Dakota Thu Aug 03, 2006 05:22pm

Yes, the reason I posted the question here is we have a bit broader group of ASA umpires here, and the OP over there claims to have received confirmation that ASA requires resin to be wiped off before going to the ball.

He had not responded (the last I checked) to my asking him for his source, and whether that was in writing.

Mountaineer Thu Aug 03, 2006 09:42pm

In NCAA and I think also in NF (NCAA for sure) that hand must be wiped off after applying resin by rule. They want to make sure it doesn't "deface the ball".

Dakota Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:37am

OK, if I make a few assumptions, (name / location of the UIC giving the ruling is the assumption)...

In response to an email from an umpire in FL requesting a ruling, Wayne F., the North Florida UIC, issued the ruling that the hands must be wiped after going to the resin bag.

This is not from the NUS for that region (Max Wilkes?).

Again, speaking ASA (not NCAA). Has there been an NUS ruling on this?

scottk_61 Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
OK, if I make a few assumptions, (name / location of the UIC giving the ruling is the assumption)...

In response to an email from an umpire in FL requesting a ruling, Wayne F., the North Florida UIC, issued the ruling that the hands must be wiped after going to the resin bag.

This is not from the NUS for that region (Max Wilkes?).

Again, speaking ASA (not NCAA). Has there been an NUS ruling on this?

There is a casebook ruling from the 2004 rule book that I had printed out that says, 6F.6-5 Resin is for drying the hands only. It does not say that the pitcher must wipe the hands.

It does cover apply the resin to the ball itself or to the glove.

Quote, "The pitcher places resin directly on the ball or in the glove and resin transfers to the ball and pitches it before the umpire can stop play."

Ruling Illegal Pitch. Resin is used to dry the hands only.

Now, to me it is a judgement call by the Ump as to whether F1 has so much resin on their hand that they need to wipe some of it off or not. But there is no ruling that says that F1 HAS to wipe the hand before pitching.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Aug 07, 2006 08:57pm

Just a note for all those who think that the "powder resin" rule is just window dressing.

The notes sent to me from OKC concerning the manager's meeting prior to the a national tournament instructs the UICs to address the rule which requires the use of "only" powdered resin.

As a course of preventive umpiring, I suggested to the managers that if they did have "rock" resin, they take a bat, find a hard surface and.......

The point being that this shows me ASA is serious about having only a powdered bag on the field.

CecilOne Tue Aug 08, 2006 07:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Just a note for all those who think that the "powder resin" rule is just window dressing.

The notes sent to me from OKC concerning the manager's meeting prior to the a national tournament instructs the UICs to address the rule which requires the use of "only" powdered resin.

As a course of preventive umpiring, I suggested to the managers that if they did have "rock" resin, they take a bat, find a hard surface and.......

The point being that this shows me ASA is serious about having only a powdered bag on the field.

When is the Physics class scheduled? :(

Dakota Tue Aug 08, 2006 08:16am

Well, no ASA NUS ruling on the wiping of the hands issue has been posted...

Without a definitive ruling, I will continue to interpret the statement that the pitcher has permission to use resin, placed within the foreign substance rule, to mean that resin is an exception to the rule. Hence, no need to wipe the hands.

That is, the interpretation I will use is the rule says no foreign substance may be applied to the ball, except that resin may be used to dry the hands.

Dakota Tue Aug 08, 2006 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
...I suggested to the managers that if they did have "rock" resin, they take a bat, find a hard surface and...

Hopefully not one of their $300 thin-walled pressurized or composite bats! :eek: :rolleyes: