The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 08:03pm
VaASAump
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
World Cup Umpires

I was noticing that the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms. Does that mean that they are using ASA rules? I thought they would be using ISF umpires, playing under ISF rules.

Serg
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaASAump
I was noticing that the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms. Does that mean that they are using ASA rules? I thought they would be using ISF umpires, playing under ISF rules.

Serg

No, they are ASA umpires using ISF rules. Note the "7-run" rule, not 8. Also, Ms. Smith noted that only starters have re-entry rights, subs to not. Last I knew, that was still ISF's rule.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No, they are ASA umpires using ISF rules. Note the "7-run" rule, not 8. Also, Ms. Smith noted that only starters have re-entry rights, subs to not. Last I knew, that was still ISF's rule.
Not that I disagree with your premise, but you want to cite the talking head as your source?
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 05:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Not that I disagree with your premise, but you want to cite the talking head as your source?
I understand, however, the 7 run statement was backed up with graphics and we all know that ASA's rule is 8. Then again, maybe this is a tournament rule unless ISF has made a change because the mercy rule number for ISF was 10 after 5 innings.

Also, this tournament is sanctioned by the ISF and you cannot expect foreign teams (although GB's line-up was far from foreign) to come in and play under ASA rules when all other tournaments among these teams are governed by ISF.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No, they are ASA umpires using ISF rules.
The latter aspect (ISF rules) is because it is an international tournament. The former aspect (ASA uniforms) is marketing!
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
The latter aspect (ISF rules) is because it is an international tournament. The former aspect (ASA uniforms) is marketing!
No argument there, from anyone. Then again, ASA is the host, so why would you expect anything else

Below is the crew:


Julie Johnson (Alexandria, IN/Indiana ASA), who worked as an umpire at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, will serve as Umpire-In-Chief for the II World Cup of Softball, July 13-17, in Oklahoma City, Okla. She will be joined by Jerry Bark (Killeen, TX/Texas ASA), Christie Cornwell (Greensboro, NC/North Carolina ASA), Kevin Davis (Grand Prairie, TX/Dallas ASA), Tanya Garig (San Francisco, CA/Oakland ASA), Keith Kearney (Killeen, TX/Texas ASA), Dora Martinez (San Antonio, TX/San Antonio ASA), Jeff Sloan (Omaha, NE/Nebraska ASA) and Bryan Smith (Lansing, MI/Michigan ASA).

BTW, these are all ISF Certified umpires, in case you are wondering.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Jul 14, 2006 at 10:12am.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Twin Cities MN
Posts: 8,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No argument there, from anyone. Then again, ASA is the host, so why would you expect anything else
I wouldn't. It is a great stage to get your logo in front of everyone. Good decision on ASA's part.
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 382
ISF Rule change mercy rule : 20 15 7 after 3 4 5 came in this playing season along with 63 other rule changes mostly minor things to do with definitions and clarifications
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 03:03am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: woodville, tx
Posts: 3,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No argument there, from anyone. Then again, ASA is the host, so why would you expect anything else

Below is the crew:


Julie Johnson (Alexandria, IN/Indiana ASA), who worked as an umpire at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, will serve as Umpire-In-Chief for the II World Cup of Softball, July 13-17, in Oklahoma City, Okla. She will be joined by Jerry Bark (Killeen, TX/Texas ASA), Christie Cornwell (Greensboro, NC/North Carolina ASA), Kevin Davis (Grand Prairie, TX/Dallas ASA), Tanya Garig (San Francisco, CA/Oakland ASA), Keith Kearney (Killeen, TX/Texas ASA), Dora Martinez (San Antonio, TX/San Antonio ASA), Jeff Sloan (Omaha, NE/Nebraska ASA) and Bryan Smith (Lansing, MI/Michigan ASA).

BTW, these are all ISF Certified umpires, in case you are wondering.
I have worked with and for Bark and Kearney. Been in tournaments with Kevin Davis but have never worked with and seen him work.
__________________
glen _______________________________
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,640
I noticed that for last night's game on ESPN (USA vs. Canada) the umpires were all wearing ISF uniforms.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 06:45am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,400
What is the DP rule in ISF? Is it a FLEX type rule or really just a DH as the lineup looks?
Is there any courtesy runner type rule?
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 382
Flex rule is same as ASA or very similar .
Here in NZ it is generally used as a hitter for the pitcher but as coaches get used to it they are using it more inventively
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota
Posts: 250
Can't the umpires make up their minds? Tonight in the championship game (USA vs Japan), the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms.
__________________
Thomas Hamkens
North Dakota ASA Umpire
Verlangsamen Sie Wurf weicher Ball ist ein wirklicher Sport
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
Can't the umpires make up their minds? Tonight in the championship game (USA vs Japan), the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms.
They were all ASA umpires, so they wore the ASA uniform.

Julie Johnson was the UIC, so she sets the uniforms.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 06:50am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
Can't the umpires make up their minds? Tonight in the championship game (USA vs Japan), the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms.
Maybe I am wrong... but sometimes things are more simpler than one may think.
When you umpire an ISF Tournament for the first time, the official sponsor for umpire's uniforms gives shirts, hats, belt, pants, etc.
Sometimes you receive additional items (e.g. socks, ballbag, shoes!!) and it depends from the level of the tournament.
Maybe the sponsor didn't supply enough material (or maybe things didn't fit the right way - it happens really often!) and umpires where 'forced' to use ASA uniform (I like them, by the way).

Ciao
__________________
Antonella
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
World Baseball Classic Umpires WhatWuzThatBlue Baseball 10 Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:46pm
World Series Umpires johnSandlin Baseball 22 Thu Oct 27, 2005 01:26pm
World Cup Umpires VaASAump Softball 1 Mon Jul 18, 2005 02:42pm
2004 World Series Umpires johnSandlin Baseball 11 Mon Oct 18, 2004 09:16am
2003 World Series Umpires johnSandlin Baseball 2 Thu Oct 09, 2003 11:53am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1