The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 08:03pm
VaASAump

World Cup Umpires

I was noticing that the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms. Does that mean that they are using ASA rules? I thought they would be using ISF umpires, playing under ISF rules.

Serg
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaASAump
I was noticing that the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms. Does that mean that they are using ASA rules? I thought they would be using ISF umpires, playing under ISF rules.

Serg

No, they are ASA umpires using ISF rules. Note the "7-run" rule, not 8. Also, Ms. Smith noted that only starters have re-entry rights, subs to not. Last I knew, that was still ISF's rule.
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
No, they are ASA umpires using ISF rules. Note the "7-run" rule, not 8. Also, Ms. Smith noted that only starters have re-entry rights, subs to not. Last I knew, that was still ISF's rule.
Not that I disagree with your premise, but you want to cite the talking head as your source?
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Not that I disagree with your premise, but you want to cite the talking head as your source?
I understand, however, the 7 run statement was backed up with graphics and we all know that ASA's rule is 8. Then again, maybe this is a tournament rule unless ISF has made a change because the mercy rule number for ISF was 10 after 5 innings.

Also, this tournament is sanctioned by the ISF and you cannot expect foreign teams (although GB's line-up was far from foreign) to come in and play under ASA rules when all other tournaments among these teams are governed by ISF.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, they are ASA umpires using ISF rules.
The latter aspect (ISF rules) is because it is an international tournament. The former aspect (ASA uniforms) is marketing!
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
The latter aspect (ISF rules) is because it is an international tournament. The former aspect (ASA uniforms) is marketing!
No argument there, from anyone. Then again, ASA is the host, so why would you expect anything else

Below is the crew:

Julie Johnson (Alexandria, IN/Indiana ASA), who worked as an umpire at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, will serve as Umpire-In-Chief for the II World Cup of Softball, July 13-17, in Oklahoma City, Okla. She will be joined by Jerry Bark (Killeen, TX/Texas ASA), Christie Cornwell (Greensboro, NC/North Carolina ASA), Kevin Davis (Grand Prairie, TX/Dallas ASA), Tanya Garig (San Francisco, CA/Oakland ASA), Keith Kearney (Killeen, TX/Texas ASA), Dora Martinez (San Antonio, TX/San Antonio ASA), Jeff Sloan (Omaha, NE/Nebraska ASA) and Bryan Smith (Lansing, MI/Michigan ASA).

BTW, these are all ISF Certified umpires, in case you are wondering.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri Jul 14, 2006 at 10:12am.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No argument there, from anyone. Then again, ASA is the host, so why would you expect anything else
I wouldn't. It is a great stage to get your logo in front of everyone. Good decision on ASA's part.
Old Fri Jul 14, 2006, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

ISF Rule change mercy rule : 20 15 7 after 3 4 5 came in this playing season along with 63 other rule changes mostly minor things to do with definitions and clarifications
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Below is the crew:

Julie Johnson (Alexandria, IN/Indiana ASA), who worked as an umpire at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, will serve as Umpire-In-Chief for the II World Cup of Softball, July 13-17, in Oklahoma City, Okla. She will be joined by Jerry Bark (Killeen, TX/Texas ASA), Christie Cornwell (Greensboro, NC/North Carolina ASA), Kevin Davis (Grand Prairie, TX/Dallas ASA), Tanya Garig (San Francisco, CA/Oakland ASA), Keith Kearney (Killeen, TX/Texas ASA), Dora Martinez (San Antonio, TX/San Antonio ASA), Jeff Sloan (Omaha, NE/Nebraska ASA) and Bryan Smith (Lansing, MI/Michigan ASA).

BTW, these are all ISF Certified umpires, in case you are wondering.
I have worked with and for Bark and Kearney. Been in tournaments with Kevin Davis but have never worked with and seen him work.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Jul 15, 2006, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

I noticed that for last night's game on ESPN (USA vs. Canada) the umpires were all wearing ISF uniforms.
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 06:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
What is the DP rule in ISF? Is it a FLEX type rule or really just a DH as the lineup looks?
Is there any courtesy runner type rule?
Old Sun Jul 16, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Flex rule is same as ASA or very similar .
Here in NZ it is generally used as a hitter for the pitcher but as coaches get used to it they are using it more inventively
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Can't the umpires make up their minds? Tonight in the championship game (USA vs Japan), the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
Can't the umpires make up their minds? Tonight in the championship game (USA vs Japan), the umpires were wearing ASA uniforms.
They were all ASA umpires, so they wore the ASA uniform.

Julie Johnson was the UIC, so she sets the uniforms.
Old Tue Jul 18, 2006, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue
Maybe I am wrong... but sometimes things are more simpler than one may think.
When you umpire an ISF Tournament for the first time, the official sponsor for umpire's uniforms gives shirts, hats, belt, pants, etc.
Sometimes you receive additional items (e.g. socks, ballbag, shoes!!) and it depends from the level of the tournament.
Maybe the sponsor didn't supply enough material (or maybe things didn't fit the right way - it happens really often!) and umpires where 'forced' to use ASA uniform (I like them, by the way).

Ciao