The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Clinic for 2007 Season

I would like to get an umpire's clinic organized for the 2007 season. Does anyone have any experience with organizing and running a weekend clinic.

I'd like to get NCAA umpires to show us proper mechanics, game management, attire, etc. I'm a first year guy, and I had nothing before my first game.

If anyone has knowledge about advertising, costs, logistics, etc. It would be greatly appreciated. I have discussed this with a local organization director. He indicated that he might be able to arrange a few scrimmage games.

If you don't have direct knowledge, if you could give me the name(s) of those who would, that'd be a bid help too.

Dave
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hoosier Dave, If you do live in IN. the NSA has a great 2 day school the first weekend in April. It is in Munster, along with 1 day classes held all over the state. Go to the Indiana NSA web site and you can contact the State UIC for additonal info. Indiana has a very good association with lots of very talented umps both young and old.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dave

I'd like to get NCAA umpires to show us proper mechanics, game management, attire, etc. I'm a first year guy, and I had nothing before my first game.
What makes you think NCAA umpires are qualified? Been watching any ball on TV lately?
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
What makes you think NCAA umpires are qualified? Been watching any ball on TV lately?
OUCH! Besides, we might show up wearing patent leather . . .

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

The problem with NCAA, is that I see different mechanics in different areas of the country.

I'd rather see the same mechanics for all in a particular organization, but then again, you all know I'm ASA and anal about such things.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
Hoosier Dave, If you do live in IN. the NSA has a great 2 day school the first weekend in April. It is in Munster, along with 1 day classes held all over the state. Go to the Indiana NSA web site and you can contact the State UIC for additonal info. Indiana has a very good association with lots of very talented umps both young and old.
Good answer, Bear.

I wonder if ASA has enough presence and state org. to do the same.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
Good answer, Bear.

I wonder if ASA has enough presence and state org. to do the same.
Yes, Indiana operates schools and clinics, some at the state regional level, some at the state level.

Suggest you contact someone from InASA at:

http://www.inasablue.org/index.html
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

NSA Schools

I help teach at the Indiana NSA schools and clinics. If you want any information, shoot me a PM.

Blu
Old Thu Jul 13, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Indiana's ASA 2-day school is among the best clinics I've been too, regardless of organization. Indiana is blessed with some of the best ASA umpires, hell, umpires period, in the nation. The two-day school is usually in the last half of march. Also, ASA offers two hour clinics (new rules) and 8 hour clinics, as well as one-day youth schools for umpires under the age of 18. A great training regiment.

Keep visiting www.inasablue.org and you'll find information when it is updated.