The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously, you need to call time more to speed things up.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
OK, I call IFR based on the average player in that level. If it's a popup right behind 2nd - that's obviously an easier for a HS player than a 10yo. There's no way you can call it based upon the ability of individual players. (At least IMHO.)

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Can't call time . . . I'm too busy waiting for the pitcher to try to pick off the runner.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldgriff
I am not going to give her credit for the abitility to make a catch that I KNOW she cant make. Again and please understand this clearly, I have watched these teams all season long. The cases I am talking about today are players that if the ball is hit more than 3 steps away, they are not going to try for it.

If I am doing a tournament and dont know the players I am absolutely going to have to make a judgement call on it. On the ones I am talking about, it wasnt judgement as much as just knowing that there was no possible way that the player was going to catch the ball with reasonable effort.
The rule also say could be and not will be.
Not debating the general concept of adjusting for ability, just not adjusting for laziness or brain-freezes.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
The rule also say could be and not will be.
Not debating the general concept of adjusting for ability, just not adjusting for laziness or brain-freezes.
I don't think it is relevant as either requires the umpire to assess the situation and apply his/her judgment.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Uh oh, now you've gone and done it
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The rule also does not say anything about ordinary effort from the fielder making the play, but rather could be caught with ordinary effort. I doesn't say "could be caught with ordinary effort by the closest player" or anything to that effect. That's where the umpire's judgement to what is ordinary effort comes into play, and my general rule is that it must be ordinary effort for an average player of that skill level.

I don't think its fair to judge ordinary effort by the best or the worst player on either team or even in the league. Ordinary effort for Derek Jeter is just about anything within a mile of his position, but for Travis Hafner's level of mobility (there is a reason he is a full time DH) we are looking at 2 feet. So you can't apply D. Jeter's ordinary effort to Hafner or the other way around. To maintain uniformity just go with the average players ability and you'll have it good judge of ordinary effort. That's all I have to say about that.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I've done LL softball at Regional level in two age brackets. No big deal.

I don't give a shirt about "ability." If fielder is under the rock and facing the plate, it's an IF.

Have we forgotten that the basis for this rule is to prevent the cheap DP? If F6 muffs it, can she pick it up and get an easy force or a DP? Then it's an IF, IMHO.

To wit: I once knew a less-than-diligent ump who (working the pads) jumped in and made a "safe" call on a (tag-up) appeal play at 3B when dish ump should have called it. When I (more or less his assignor) questioned this after the game, he said, "No big deal. The runner would have made it home anyway, the fly was so deep."

Same fawlty logic, methinks.

Ace in CT
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
The rule also does not say anything about ordinary effort from the fielder making the play, but rather could be caught with ordinary effort. I doesn't say "could be caught with ordinary effort by the closest player" or anything to that effect. That's where the umpire's judgement to what is ordinary effort comes into play, and my general rule is that it must be ordinary effort for an average player of that skill level.

I don't think its fair to judge ordinary effort by the best or the worst player on either team or even in the league. Ordinary effort for Derek Jeter is just about anything within a mile of his position, but for Travis Hafner's level of mobility (there is a reason he is a full time DH) we are looking at 2 feet. So you can't apply D. Jeter's ordinary effort to Hafner or the other way around. To maintain uniformity just go with the average players ability and you'll have it good judge of ordinary effort. That's all I have to say about that.
Speaking ASA

Actually, the rule DOES state "ordinary effort".

Rule 1 - INFIELD FLY.

A fair fly ball, not including a line drive or an attempted bunt which can be caught by an infielder, pitcher or catcher (thank you, very much) with ordinary effort when first and second or first, second and third bases are occupied with less than two outs.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

"Herndon seems to be bothered by insects at the plate. I don't know what species it is. Maybe it's an infield fly."

....... Hank Greenwald, San Francisco Giants announcer, 1981