View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The rule also does not say anything about ordinary effort from the fielder making the play, but rather could be caught with ordinary effort. I doesn't say "could be caught with ordinary effort by the closest player" or anything to that effect. That's where the umpire's judgement to what is ordinary effort comes into play, and my general rule is that it must be ordinary effort for an average player of that skill level.

I don't think its fair to judge ordinary effort by the best or the worst player on either team or even in the league. Ordinary effort for Derek Jeter is just about anything within a mile of his position, but for Travis Hafner's level of mobility (there is a reason he is a full time DH) we are looking at 2 feet. So you can't apply D. Jeter's ordinary effort to Hafner or the other way around. To maintain uniformity just go with the average players ability and you'll have it good judge of ordinary effort. That's all I have to say about that.