The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
delete.. double post
OK, go ahead.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

I think a lot of it depends on what level of slow-pitch you are working as well. For me, I think the most exciting is about the Class C and D level.

The classes above that are pretty much all power games and basically just sitting back and watching the guys hit bombs and whine about the zone. They are supposedly the better players around so you want to be on your game as well, but for me anyway, it's a much more boring game to umpire.

Below that and the players and pitching aren't very good which makes it a difficult game to umpire. You never know where they are going to throw the ball which makes if more difficult if you are working solo. It's a struggle to get any strikes called so you have a lot of hitters that stand there looking for a walk, which really irks me.

That C and D level, in this area anyway, seems to have the best balance for me. Decent pitching, not a bunch of power so there are more calls on the bases which get me into the game much more. They are generally experienced so you can do a bit of anticipation as to where the ball is going to go, which is a great help working solo. The pitchers are usually around the plate so there aren't many walks and you do get the occasional strike-out which is always fun.

The worst I ever had was a Women's Class F league. We are talking girls that have pretty much never thrown a ball before. One hour time-limits and I think I had only one game all year NOT called for the time-limit. But the scenery was very nice which made it a bit more bearable.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I dont see this majestic beauty of SP that you do though, as of yet.
Here is what I see in the SP game.

The batter has more control over where the ball is hit.

The ball is put into play by almost every batter on the high-side percentage of the time.

Almost every time the ball is put into play, there is a multitude of possible plays, offensive and defensive.

The pitcher's job is to put it near the plate. The idea is to get the ball put into play to give your defense a chance to retire the player, not to strike out the batter.

Though the outfield is much larger with an additional defender, there are still plenty of gaps and lines to hit.

Defense must make some great plays due to the speed of the ball and the increased athleticism of the players.

I've worked SP games at 65', 70' and 80' diamonds and these apply to all. The perks as opposed to FP is the SP game is always moving, variety on the much increased offensive play, the umpire must always be alert for anything, hustle isn't an option.

There are some FP teams that have their players partake in the SP game to help hone their defensive skills in the field and see the ball at the plate. Yes, it is slower, but it forces the batter to follow the ball.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

I can't figure out which is most interesting about slow pitch:
- watching home runs and uncaught fly balls
- endless illegal pitches
- batters who never take a strike
- pitchers who never pitch a ball
- runners who are never out on DMR
- offense players in the dugout who always think it hit the plate
- defense players who never think it hit the plate
- settling BOO without a lineup or shirt numbers
- running 3/4 of the way to 2nd to cover a throw closer to me than the fielder
- teams that are never all there at game time
- seven sets of league rules
- getting home at midnight
- might makes right attitudes
- intoxicated players
- bad field conditions

I'm sure I can think of some more exciting things later, but back to work.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
The ball is put into play by almost every batter on the high-side percentage of the time.
Also true for "T" ball!
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
- intoxicated players
- bad field conditions

Maybe it is just me but what is DMR?
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
- intoxicated players
- bad field conditions

Obviously you have experienced a different level of SP than I have..... too bad for you.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dweezil24
So, speaking one-man SP, what's the best mechanic for a play at third if there are trailing runners? Run all the way up to get the best possible angle on the play at third, and possibly miss a play at another base? Or try to get a decent angle while still keeping the other runners in front of me and hope I see it right? Or should I beg and plead for a partner?
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil24
So, speaking one-man SP, what's the best mechanic for a play at third if there are trailing runners? Run all the way up to get the best possible angle on the play at third, and possibly miss a play at another base? Or try to get a decent angle while still keeping the other runners in front of me and hope I see it right? Or should I beg and plead for a partner?

I think you try to get the best angle you can for the play at third. I would be inside the diamond, working toward third, getting the best angle I could while staying out of the way of a possible throw from third to first. I wouldn't get too close, a couple feet from the mound area should be good. If there is a play at another base, you just need to hustle and get the best position you can.

You aren't going to see everything one-man so I think anyway that you do need to prioritize the plays and your position accordingly. The best though is when the bases are loaded and the batter hits a short fly-ball down the left field line so you have to judge fair/foul. Catch is made, throw goes home and all runners tag and move up a base. Then the defense wants to appeal the runner leaving first base early.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezil24
I'm going into my second season as blue for a small four-team church league. Last season we had two umps, this season I've been asked to fly solo - long story. Any tips from those of you who have worked a lot of one-man games? I know I'll have to move a whole lot more than before to get the proper angle on the plays. Any other tips?
Working one man can be a little diffucult (unless you make all calls from behind the plate) depending on the level of play. I will move towards the pitcher in most cases; from there you are in the best possible position to go towards the play. Of course on a fly ball down the lines you first have to determine fair or foul and then hustle towards the next play. Keep in mind you will be inside the diamond and ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL or you are going to get hit. As far as those of you who think all SP is is a bunch of old drunk guys hitting pop flys get on the field with the field with the Men at an ASA or USSSA-A or B tournament and then come back on and tell me how boring it is.
Old Thu Jun 29, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSUAUmpire
Working one man can be a little diffucult (unless you make all calls from behind the plate) depending on the level of play. I will move towards the pitcher in most cases; from there you are in the best possible position to go towards the play. Of course on a fly ball down the lines you first have to determine fair or foul and then hustle towards the next play. Keep in mind you will be inside the diamond and ALWAYS KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL or you are going to get hit. As far as those of you who think all SP is is a bunch of old drunk guys hitting pop flys get on the field with the field with the Men at an ASA or USSSA-A or B tournament and then come back on and tell me how boring it is.
Yes, I know that skill level is a whole different world.
Old Fri Jun 30, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Here is what I see in the SP game.

The batter has more control over where the ball is hit.

Almost every time the ball is put into play, there is a multitude of possible plays, offensive and defensive.

The pitcher's job is to put it near the plate. The idea is to get the ball put into play to give your defense a chance to retire the player, not to strike out the batter.

Though the outfield is much larger with an additional defender, there are still plenty of gaps and lines to hit.

Defense must make some great plays due to the speed of the ball and the increased athleticism of the players.

I've worked SP games at 65', 70' and 80' diamonds and these apply to all. The perks as opposed to FP is the SP game is always moving, variety on the much increased offensive play, the umpire must always be alert for anything, hustle isn't an option.

There are some FP teams that have their players partake in the SP game to help hone their defensive skills in the field and see the ball at the plate. Yes, it is slower, but it forces the batter to follow the ball.

Well I take it back -- They are whiners lol!

1) I gotta work on not being lulled to sleep - I missed calling a IF and trying to explain that its still and IF even if not called; well they didnt buy it.

I know I wouldnt have missed it in a game where I get into it.. I just get laxidasical because of the game. Gotta beat myself up a little about missing that call so I dont do it again, gotta stay awake no matter how hard it is.. so my bad on that.

OK mike, guru of SP.. question for you..

Do you call illegal pitch in the air.. I just would say "ball too high" or whatever after the pitch... one guy was saying I gotta hold my arm out (like ddb) .. I wasnt sure and just told them I was just going to call a ball..

Do SP umpires hold out their arm or yell IP or what do they do? To be honest it takes me the whole pitch to think if I think its 12 feet..

I gotta set something up thats 12 feet high and have someone throw the ball .. so hard for me to tell.. 12 feet! lordie. But gotta get that "strike zone" figured out if im gonna do this.

basically its a wild guess IMO.. but whats the mechanic for it recommended by the sp gurus.
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1) I gotta work on not being lulled to sleep - I missed calling a IF and trying to explain that its still and IF even if not called; well they didnt buy it.

I know I wouldnt have missed it in a game where I get into it.. I just get laxidasical because of the game. Gotta beat myself up a little about missing that call so I dont do it again, gotta stay awake no matter how hard it is.. so my bad on that.

Do you call illegal pitch in the air.. I just would say "ball too high" or whatever after the pitch... one guy was saying I gotta hold my arm out (like ddb) .. I wasnt sure and just told them I was just going to call a ball..

Do SP umpires hold out their arm or yell IP or what do they do? To be honest it takes me the whole pitch to think if I think its 12 feet..

I gotta set something up thats 12 feet high and have someone throw the ball .. so hard for me to tell.. 12 feet! lordie. But gotta get that "strike zone" figured out if im gonna do this.

basically its a wild guess IMO.. but whats the mechanic for it recommended by the sp gurus.

Good God...this last post and most of this thread is driving me to tears..for illegal pitches,, ddb signal and say "illegal" loud enough for the batter and catcher to hear. Figure out as FAST as possible if its illegal and give them the signal.

SP is a harder game to work than FP...
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a guy on these boards a couple of years ago, Ed was his name I believe. He mentioned that he created a 12' pole made out of PVC pipe segments that he kept in his trunk. He would stop by the field at times just to set it up and review his judgement of 12'.

We had some fun teasing Ed about standing in an empty field staring at his 12' pole. Someone suggested it would be more fun to have a tall, blonde Swede to stare at.

I personnally thought the pole was a great idea, but I never tried it.
Old Sat Jul 01, 2006, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Considering this post and previous demonstrations of disdain for the game, I believe you are probably a "green" and don't know if I would want you on the field for a FP/MP game, let alone one of slow pitch.

I'm done with this one.