The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Question Do you umpire a forfeited game?

Game time is 7:20 because the first game went long game did not start until 8:00 one team only had 8 players that is a forfeit. Do you umpire a forfeit or go home? What about liabilities? Who is responsible? What about player conduct? This is something I am currently wrestling, one of our umpires did not umpire a forfeited game, while I have no problem with that the league wants the umpire fee to go to the player who umpired the "fun" game.

Bugg
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
Game time is 7:20 because the first game went long game did not start until 8:00 one team only had 8 players that is a forfeit. Do you umpire a forfeit or go home? What about liabilities? Who is responsible? What about player conduct? This is something I am currently wrestling, one of our umpires did not umpire a forfeited game, while I have no problem with that the league wants the umpire fee to go to the player who umpired the "fun" game.

Bugg
If the game was forfeited, it's over. Anything you do beyond that is on your own time and dime. IOW, technically, you have no insurance (speaking ASA).

So, if you don't like your house and family, knock yourself out.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

No way. I'm gone and hopefully getting paid. This is no different than if a game is a run rule and the two teams want to continue playing. I tell them, "Play all you want, just without me."
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

In my association you do not EVER umpire a forfieted game. If your game is forfiet then you call the coaches you explain that this is a forfiet, and that they may do what ever they want for the next 65 minutes but the game is over and the team with enough players won 7-0.

You are just opening up a HUGE liabiltiy for yourself and the association.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started here in Dallas(in he 80's) we were required to call 3 innings if the teams wished, this was a local thing, but with all the talk of possible lawsuits we stopped.
Old Fri Jun 23, 2006, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Why in the world would you umpire a forfeited game? The game is over. If you were doing a regular game, it went 7 innings and was done...and the teams (or a team) wanted to scrimmage or practice, would you stay and do it? I hope not. The game is over when it's forfeited. Go see your wife/girlfriend/significant other.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
I have before. I figured, hey, they paid me so I'm on their clock. I simply state that we are running it as a scrimmage and go from there. I would try to talk them into just playing 4 or 5 innings or an hour so some form of a shortened game - take my check (or ca$h) and go home.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob
Do you umpire a forfeit?
No. Never.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Jun 24, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

For our rec programs we will. Games are scheduled for an hour and a half. If a forfeit happens due to one team being shorthanded, we call for about an hour or until all players have had at least 1 at bat. This is at the rec departments request.

All other stuff, tournie's, school and such-- no, we go home or wait for next scheduled game.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
For our rec programs we will. Games are scheduled for an hour and a half. If a forfeit happens due to one team being shorthanded, we call for about an hour or until all players have had at least 1 at bat. This is at the rec departments request.

All other stuff, tournie's, school and such-- no, we go home or wait for next scheduled game.

You better make sure that the rec dept understands the terms 'liability' and 'risk'...and your assignor makes sure that they WILL pick up all of your legal fees and such if anything happens in that hour...just because it is 'recreational', doesnt lessen any of the risks you occur.
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
You better make sure that the rec dept understands the terms 'liability' and 'risk'...and your assignor makes sure that they WILL pick up all of your legal fees and such if anything happens in that hour...just because it is 'recreational', doesnt lessen any of the risks you occur.
I don't believe that is true in these circumstances. So far as I understand from the representatives of Bollinger insurance, the ASA liability coverage extends to any regularly scheduled game assigned by an ASA organization, where the teams and umpires are all registered ASA. Whatever rules are published and accepted as standard are expected to be enforced.

If the local league rules state that a team can play with 4 players, the umpires are covered when they play that game. If the local rules state that a scrimmage is to be umpired in the event of a forfeit, the umpires are covered. In fact, I believe that the "don't quote me" quote from John Spiota, representing Bollinger at the ASA National UIC Clinic was "if your local (written) rules state that you play with hand grenades as balls, your umpires will be covered. Don't expect us to keep the rates the same when the claims start coming in, though." Mike, so yopu recall anything different?
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE

That has been addressed by both the rec dept and assignor. We also have a supplemental policy which covers us for any games to which we are scheduled. We do more ball than just ASA, (Dixie Youth BB) and need coverage there also.

I might add, the forfeited games we call are in the youth program only. The thinking is the kids can't be responsible for getting themselves to the games, adults can. Don't want to punish the kids who are there ready to play by not allowing any playing time! Sometimes the "short team" will borrow a player or two from the other team to have enough to cover the outfield. We also had a couple of teams who knew they were going to loose games when playing another team, the coach would tell them just not show up! The team that is left gets another practice then!
Old Sun Jun 25, 2006, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

As long as it is ASA-sanctioned, which assumedly would cover any "scrimmage" as that would be a "scheduled" alternative, the umpire "should" be okay.

However, none of this was not mentioned in the OP to which is the one I responded.

My personal policy is if there is no official game (a 7-0 score for a forfeit IS the official game), I don't work it.

Just because I have the insurance, I'm not looking to test it's limits.