The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Batter hit by pitch??

Working girls ASA FP alone. R1 on 2B and running for 3B on the release. Pitch far inside and low. Batter jumps up and I believe (very sure) that I hear the ball hit the batter's shoe (really couldn't see it). I call dead ball, instructed batter to 1B and directed R1 back to 2B. Batter steps back up to plate to bat. I told the the batter tha she needed to go to 1B, but batter ignores me and is ready to bat again. I then asked batter, "Did the ball hit you?" Batter said that ball did not hit her and was determined on batting. At that point, I thought that maybe the pitched ball didn't hit her (I didn't see the actual contact). I allowed batter to bat, but made R1 go back to 2B because I had declared dead ball on what I thought was a hit batter. I know that most of you will tell me that I should have stayed with batter hit by pitch and ordered batter to 1B. Suggestions on how to handle this.

After inning was over, both coaches also thought that the ball his batter's foot, but, like me, wasn't 100 percent sure.
Old Fri Jun 16, 2006, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Never. never. never, ever never ever ask a batter "did the ball hit you?"

You called it, gotta go with it. If you were sure enough to call it in the first place, don't let the players influence you to reverse your call. Second guess yourself (by yourself) later but not during the game. Remember that a ball can hit a batter and they not feel it. They may not feel it hit a jersey, should feel a foot, but may not. And there is the possibility that she really wanted to hit and kinda "made up a tale!"
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Would you reverse an out call if you thought a glove with the ball ticked a runner's foot on a legal tag and the player refused to leave the base?
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Lessons learned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
Never. never. never, ever never ever ask a batter "did the ball hit you?"
You called it, gotta go with it.
I've learned this "rule" just a couple of times, but the hard way. I got (deservedly) reamed out by UIC/commissioner types.

Even if your judgment call is dead wrong in the eyes of others, you have to go with it: you saw (or heard) what you saw. Players and coaches expect it, and that's just the way it is.

I'm with the 'most of you' who'd award 1B to the batter, based on what my senses told me.
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

In the situation described, you made the "dead ball" call so stay with the call.
Do not ask a player or coach their opinion on calls especially when working alone.
Sam
Old Sat Jun 17, 2006, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Had it happen to me once too. I killed it and told the player to go to first base. She said, "but it didn't hit me." My reply - "Oh well, I thought it did, you still get to go to first base." Once you call "dead ball" and make a call, you can't go back and unring that bell based on what a player tells you.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.