The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

This is in a league for 11 - 13 year olds. We had a batter hit by pitch, the umpire awarded him first base, the hitter declined the award to first base and wanted to continue his at bat in hope of the opportunity of a hit. The umpire allowed him to continue his at bat and ignored the fact he was hit by pitch. Is this correct? I've never had a situation where a hit batsman did not accept first base.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

He doesn't get a choice. He goes.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I have heard that long ago the batter had that option in MLB. I suspect that today's pitchers would take it as an insult and deliberately hit the guy with the next pitch.

Until around 1950, the home team in MLB had the option to bat first, but I don't know that any ever did.

It does bring up other questions. In the early 1960s, Hector Lopez hit a game-winning ground rule double but ran no farther than first, so he was credited only with a single. What if today a runner between 2B and 3B was awarded home but opted to stop at 3B (let's say, because the next batter was chasing an RBI record)? I suspect the runner would not be allowed that option.

In lower-level girls' rec FP, I often ask hit batters whether they want to stay and bat. They almost always choose to bat.
Old Wed May 14, 2003, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have done this in lower levels a couple of times. Both times, I couldn't tell if the pitch grazed the batter so I asked him " did that pitch hit you?" Answer " Yes, but I want to bat." Games were blow outs and the hitter was on the losing team. I figure if they want to bat, let them do it in lower levels. Competitive levels, take your base.
Glen is right about the girls, they almost always want to hit. I think giving the option of taking the base or hitting should be incorporated in some leagues. We have what is known here as a Concurrent League. This is a developmental league with interleague games. No standings are kept and coaches are encouraged to allow players to play positions they normally wouldn't play in league play. Basically a practice game league. I see no reason why kids shouldn't hit if they want to in this league. That is one of the major thrills in baseball.

Old Wed May 14, 2003, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I have had some varsity players get grazed. I call time and send em to first, they argue that they didn't get hit! Kids love to smack the ball, can't blame em.....
Old Thu May 15, 2003, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I also have had some player get grazed and act as if they didn't get hit. I let it stand. Many, many times it has resulted in an out.

I always make sure to thank the player.